Equalavency and Other Silly Stuff

kbobam

The more I think about it, the stranger the idea of 'equality' becomes.

I was originally thinking how it's a silly term to use when talking about any concept that involves people.

People aren't, and can't be, 'equal'.  That's just stupid.  'Equal' implies 'identical'.  'Equivalent', or of the same value, would be a better word.

And yet, even in the mathematics from which I base my definition of 'equality', we can look at both sides of an equation and

have a very clear 'seeing is believing' realization that '2+2' and '4' are not the same thing!  I'm so confused:P

(And as long as we're here, why don't we drop all the silly 'political correctness' and be brutally honest and admit that we

all know a few individuals who aren't even 'equivalent'!)

My final amateur-philosopher take on all this is that the only existence of equality is that which exists between an object and itself.  ( :

Tell me about it.
I've always been partial to dark-haired pale-skinned women.
Are they 'half-fair'?
Or is that a non-applicable 'dividing something by zero' concept?

And where does Scarborough fit into all this?

18 hours ago, kbobam said:

(And as long as we're here, why don't we drop all the silly 'political correctness' and be brutally honest and admit that we

all know a few individuals who aren't even 'equivalent'!)

Or, as a favorite gentleman caller of mine likes to point out, particularly when something goes wrong -- the intelligence of half of the people in the world is, by definition, below average.

On 3/8/2016 at 0:38 AM, ann said:

Or, as a favorite gentleman caller of mine likes to point out, particularly when something goes wrong -- the intelligence of half of the people in the world is, by definition, below average.

"Do not believe any statistic that you did not doctored yourself."

There is no need that by definition half of the people in the world are more or less intelligent than the average. There are several definitions of average and it really depends on how the individual measures are distributed. There might be rare but heavy outliers that rise or lower the average when all the others are close together. Just an example to spread the idea:

Lets assume there are 10 measures (of whatever) taken. 9 times we have a 2 and once there is a 10. The simple mean value is defined by summing up those results giving 28 totally and then dividing this total by the count of the results we get 2.8 as the average. So we end up with 9 results below the average and one above. Far away from 50%. When the count of samples rises the difference gets less but please still keep in mind this drastic example.

I might be one of those outliers who pull down the average of intelligence in the world.