Wooden keeper box -holds 40 marbles up to 3/4

greg11

I don't understand why no one uses round router bits for mib boxes. I have used them on all my boxes. Then I use flock on the holes. It is a lot easier to paint on colored glue and sprinkle on the colored fibers. You can buy it from woodcrafters or craft stores. Some of my boxes hold almost 500 mibs. It would take way to long to cut out felt. The mibs are a lot easier to get out to.

John

corks 006.JPG

I guess it all depends on your needs. I have had a few 100+ count boxes made. The problem I found was with the larger size pieces of wood it was difficult to keep the wood flat. It seemed like either the bottom or the lid would warp and then it would not latch or close matching up to the latch. Some warped quick and some a year later. Most boxes are being made with the bottom side holes a little deeper and the lid holes a little more shallow. This way when it is opened normally the marbles are not easy to get out but can be rolled to view. Plus they will not fall out easy when standing over concrete or a hard surface. If they need removed the box is turned over so the lid is on the bottom and the marbles are removed from the more shallow side easy.  A 500 count could be carried room to room at shows but might be some bulky ? I had a few boxes 15yrs ago that had the flock coating. With time and wear the flock became less and less. I have had boxes that are felt lined for 10-15 yrs and they show no signs of wear to the felt. It does take more time and maybe cost but looks more professional to me. I am sure that if you have 200-500 count boxes that are normal thickness and stay flat without warping. That several people may be interested in buying some. Do you use a piano type hinge ?

I use 1/2 to 3/4 inch poster board that is made from styrofoam that has a thick cardboard on the top and bottom.You can buy it at most printing and copying centers. I glue it to 1/4 or 3/8 plywood depending on the size of the box. If you are lucky and the printer does a lot of displays they will give you their  scrap for free. I cut slots in the side of the box so I can use a plexiglass  top that slides off. The foam takes care of the weight problem and a good plywood does not warp.

John

Edited by jten
Add more information

Folding mib box, size 14X22X4 1/2 inches. Holds 616 mibs. Tried to add pictures kept getting denied. set size down to 70.7KB, message says I can only use  430.08KB. Have not had this problem before. Size is with box closed it opens like a suitcase, open it is 28X22X2 1/4 inches

John

Edited by jten
Added open size

Finally allowed me to up load pics. Shows box closed and open with one of the covers part way opened

John

001.JPG

002.JPG