Marbles from 1913, to approx. 1930

blueknight7

Hello, I have a number of marbles that were my father's.  He was born in 1913, and he passed in 2005.  So, he had a very long life.  Since he, his older brother, by 1 1/2 years, and younger sister lived on a farm in eastern Kansas, other than chores there was not too much to entertain kids.  So, marbles and mumblypeg, with a pocket knife, were the games of choice.  Especially, when you lived 7 miles from town.  I believe he told me, he started playing marbles when he was six or seven years old.  I think I have 26 marbles, and the original leather pouch that he carried them in.  The leather bag, has a 3/4" slice in it, but otherwise perfect condition. 

My children, all grown and gone, do not know, or care to know anything about these marbles.  I am not into collecting marbles, as I am a 30 year, retired, Law Enforcement officer, there is other things that i devote my time to.  I believe these marbles need to go to someone that cares and appreciates the antiques that they actually are. 

Many of them are strikingly beautiful.  I would like to submit them here, for the members to see, and possibility identify and evaluate.  I have photographed them all individually, but, as a whole too.  That will be the first submission, that I will post.  If anyone is more interested, I will post them in numbers of 4 and 5.  The pictures have all been resized, to where they won't overload the server.  I suppose my two favorites, are his shooter, and the cat's eye.  I don't think they are too bad of a collection, from a kid that came from a dirt farm in eastern Kansas in the early 1900's. 

Thank you in advance, for your assistance, and interest in this.   

Respectully,

blueknight7

2016-04-20 17.10.10 HDR.jpg

Edited by blueknight7
word correction.

Hi.  Welcome.  What a wonderful keepsake.  It's too bad that your kids aren't interested. 

I think that most of the value is sentimental.  Closer up pictures -- or a larger version of this one -- would be good.  

Yeah, some of the brick red colored ones deserve larger photos.  Usually solid-colored marbles aren't worth much money.  However, the ones we call "bricks" are worth more than average.  Close-ups might help us see if you have any of those.  

Maybe someone else can give a ballpark estimate of monetary value.  I'm suspecting it would end up well below $100.  But I haven't been in the market in awhile.  

And maybe close-ups would change minds. 

The red which light gets through easily might be an Akro Flintie, which was a nice marble.  And which is one of the collectable solid-colored marbles.

I might be seeing a brick.  

Another of the marbles might be a hand-gathered slag ... or something handgathered.

Plus more which look like stone.  That actually was a pretty nice little group for a serious marble player.  

The red and yellow at the bottom looks like a peltier Rainbo, which might be one of the more modern marbles in the bunch.  That style was introduced in the 1930's and made for some time after that.  But still definitely vintage.  

Thank you for the comments.  I don't believe any of my 1950's-60's era marbles got in there.  So, those should all be the older marbles.  Yes, as he told me, marbles was a serious sport during lunch, at country schools.  Eat fast and get the games started.  I believe he also said, recess ended up being marble competitions too. 

Yes, he did teach me how to shoot marbles.  But, he normally handed me, my head.  My 1950's-60's glass marbles would not stand up to the rocks he was shooting.  He did have trouble with that big deep red swirl shooter.  And my hands were quite a bit larger than his.  So, i took command of that one.  That one, would move marbles. 

What I always thought was interesting was the weight difference of his marbles and my 50-60's era marbles.  My marbles were like being a middleweight boxer, going in against a heavy weight.  Yeah, I could push them around some.  But, never get the knockout.  When dad shot, it was like everything was running for the edge of the ring. 

These agate marbles could very possibility be from my grandfather.  He was born in 1872.  I am sure if he had any marbles, they would have been given to the boys, when they were old enough to use them.  So, that could date them back 140+ years.  I just don't remember if dad told me if any were from my grandfather. Too many years, and too many wars to remember back that far. 

You do need to find someone who will love the set.  I hope you find someone who will keep it together and appreciate it as a piece of history.  A piece of the life of a serious marble player.