Hello everyone!

Shellkat

Hi everyone,

My husband and I just acquired his grandfather's (born around 1890) collection that he remembers as a child in their summer camp.His mom (born 1918) would point out the ones she thought were valuable and loved them as well.I swear it has been a spiritual experience sorting them all out, as I never met his mother. We have no idea what we have, but there are certainly some very old ones there. (Camp was sold 60/ 70s and camp contents stored away until recently) I'd post pictures but I can't figure out to make my photos smaller. I'm anxious to learn more and this site has been helpful. Thanks! 

Noticing your new additions to the gallery.  I looked for a place to comment on the photos but didn't find one.  Don't know if I'm confused or if it's missing. :)

The cat's eyes could be from the 1950's or 1960's even.  (Were introduced in America in the 1950's)

I'm seeing some beautiful Akros from the 1930's and Peltiers from the late 1920's or early 1930's. 

And some slags which could be from 1903 to 1930-ish.  

And even though though solid color marbles aren't usually exciting, you have some I wouldn't mind seeing closer views of.  From that time period they have interesting possibilities.

This group is fantastic! Thanks for the warm welcome. Steph, I think if you click on the picture and scroll down, there is a place to post comments. I'm curious as to what we may have. Any groups you'd like to see, let me know, and when I get a decent camera running, I would love to share and be educated.  I have many solids. A bunch of translucent, including Amber looking stuff, many peewees. Also some marble like looking solids. Bright shooters too. I've done nothing today but marble research and admiration. Haha. My husband will be impressed when he gets home from work! 

:thup::)

I'm still not seeing a place for comments.  Also just now when I look at one of the images I see this over on the right side of the page, "This image is not currently being displayed to other users."

I wonder if it's just you and I who can see them (me because I'm a mod).  Do you have the album set to private? 

I don't know. I have to admit this isn't the easiest site to navigate with my device. (Kindle fire) I did turn off the map feature, but it seems that eyeballs are looking at the pictures. For me, the other gallery pictures are commetable, as are mine. (New word there, Lol). Still, this group is great!

Steph... I can see her gallery, so it's not private.

Shellkat... Your husband's Grandfather was about the age of my Grandfather. Born July 17, 1880 in Stuttgart, Germany. Unfortunately I didn't get any marbles from him.

Welcome!!

Thanks for confirming, Jerry.   .... yes, Shell, I guess it's talking about the map feature, which I had never heard of before.  We only recently changed formats for the forum and I'm still learning my way around the new design.    

Shell, I see your smiley-face comment on this one, but I still don't see where I can comment.  Maybe I'm just blind today. :)  Sorry for any and all confusion I might be adding.  :wacko:

15 hours ago, Steph said:

:thup::)

I'm still not seeing a place for comments.  Also just now when I look at one of the images I see this over on the right side of the page, "This image is not currently being displayed to other users."

I wonder if it's just you and I who can see them (me because I'm a mod).  Do you have the album set to private? 

It seems to be open to the public (meanwhile?). To leave a comment I just scrolled down to the end and there is the usual field for this purpose. I am using Firefox, a relatively new revision. But any other browser should work also.

I forgot: Welcome Shellkat!