Cac slag Color/Size Help

Hey everyone I need some help if you can. I am constructing a special all encompassing CAC slag display box and would like some opinions.  I have read that Cac made slags from #6 down to #000, but is that every color or just stock colors not including electrics? The box will not include my favorite fancy slags either. 

I counted 16 colors that I have seen in stock boxes, see if you agree.  I was going to make two boxes:

Box 1:
Blue, aqua, green, white, Amber, orange, red, purple.

Box 2: electrics
Peach, e. Yellow, E. Green (fluorescent), lime green, Coke bottle green, e. Orange.  Burnt orange, Vaseline yellow

Does anyone know what colors came in #6(1")?  I have a lot of #5 (15/16-31/32") but no true 1" marbles. How about peewees? I have 8 different peewees including orange and electric green and electric yellow.

this task is going to take me a long time to complete, just trying to set the bar high before i start.  I know the electric orange is going to set me back a bit....

thanks for for the help, I'll get pics up of the colors I am talking about tonight.

Craig 

I don't have enough sizes to be very helpful, but I'll be curious about the colors -- are you including lavender in your purple category, or counting it as a separate color?

Gosh yes, what a great project.  I can't add, but keep us updated.  

I often recognize the lack of data fleshing out what we know about the biggest and littlest of a manufacturer.  E.g., it's nice to know that 1"-ers have been seen from some particular factory ... but what kinds of 1"-ers .... definitely not their entire line.  

Good luck with this. 

Ann, that's the hard part, each color has variants so I want to include all of the major colors. I might just make one 12 row box.....

One 12 row box.

Blue, Aqua, green, white,
Amber, orange, red, purple
E. Yellow, E. Green, E. Orange, peach

That might look better having them all together in one long box, instead of two. 8 count boxes 

4 hours ago, BuckEye said:

It's also hard to tell what Handgathered versions are Cac unless it's peach or one of the electric colors....

Yes, that's it.  It is very hard to tell.  I agree with you...trying to tell who made a hand gathered is a real devil for sure.  I think for slags, what we are suffering from is the ideal...due to mostly seeing and celebrating examples that are classically MFC or CAC which then neglects all the rest of them (done not just to brag either, but done because at least you know you'll get the ID correct). I know at least one thing...the more slags I see, the less I know.  

i really don't have any big ones like Les Jones used to have in his boxes, like electric green, yellow, amber, purple and blue. Those were the big ones I remember.. I recently sold a shooter yellow. We seem to seen pee wee's, and smaller CA slags, but not many over 9-/16-5/8... We then jump straight to the large ones...  I have owned several in the 23/32 -15/16 that appeared to be CA category but who knows.... mostly in amber or blue. I really believe there is a huge gap in CA slags... we jump from smalls to large... where are the in-between sizes, most of the large are in boxes, there was one guy at canton a few years ago that had like 12 one inch slags but they just didn't look right to me.

• 1 month later...

Finished one of the boxes. I'm pretty happy with it, I have to line the sides of the holes but otherwise it's good. Might have to drill the big holes a little deeper too on the next one. It's starting to fill up a little. This is going to be a long project! Have any bigger 2 seam slags? PM me!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very nice.  I had a sudden vision of the board that my folks got from the gas station -- one with holes in it that we were supposed to fill in with presidential coin premiums that we would also get from the gas station.

That's gonna be a fun board to fill in.  

I don't personally think of electric orange as a slag more of an S/T but that aside I think you can find most (all?) of those colors up to an inch and down to a peewee it's just going to take a while.  There is also a gray/brown slag that CA made I've seen in box rows but don't recall seeing them larger than maybe 5/8" or so, maybe a box collector will chime in and show.  There are also at least two distinct aquas out there, apricot, don't recall if I've seen a lavender that is indisputably CA but those get large too 7/8"+. 

Thanks for the reply @slagmarble, I was hoping you would chime in.  If you have time, can you post the two aquas or any other weird ones you might have.  I found a cornflower blue one, it's 5/8" and I have a few of the gray/brown ones, one is 7/8".   There is also dark green/blue that looks gray as well.  I'll leave out the electric orange it is more of a ST.  One box will be the more common stock colors blue, purple, green, Amber, white, red, orange etc. the other will be electrics and oddballs.  Thanks for the replies everyone, keep the thoughts coming 

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along nicely!  I'm hoping by this weekend to go dig out my stuff and see what I can find to show.  How often are you coming across aquas that are in the +/- 1" range?  I've seen more reds over the years, maybe 3:1, so depending on your luck that might be a good one to try to corner sooner rather than later.

I found a box of #5s last year on eBay.  The box was trashed and really I only know it's a #5 because they were all around 15/16".  There were a few closer to 7/8" in the box and a few 31/32".  So that's why I was wondering how often do you actually see 1"? I bet most of the marbles in a #6 box are 31/32".  There were 10 aqua in there, all totally destroyed.  But the peach, Amber and celery green were all basically untouched and mint! So that gave me a great start. 

On a side note, most of the Amber, peach, and green slags had 2 obvious seams or were single seam hand gathered.  But, out of the 10 Aqua slags only one or two had discernible seams, most were buried or non distinct.  So much so that if you showed me 8 of the slags I would have said they were Akro and not even considered Cac because of the sloppy pattern........just something to think about when you look at your slags.  I'm using base glass color and pattern when IDing now....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On May 17, 2016 at 8:19 PM, greg11 said:

i really don't have any big ones like Les Jones used to have in his boxes, like electric green, yellow, amber, purple and blue. Those were the big ones I remember.. I recently sold a shooter yellow. We seem to seen pee wee's, and smaller CA slags, but not many over 9-/16-5/8... We then jump straight to the large ones...  I have owned several in the 23/32 -15/16 that appeared to be CA category but who knows.... mostly in amber or blue. I really believe there is a huge gap in CA slags... we jump from smalls to large... where are the in-between sizes, most of the large are in boxes, there was one guy at canton a few years ago that had like 12 one inch slags but they just didn't look right to me.

Greg, you are very astute in your observations.  The #3 (13/16), #2 (3/4") seem to be the hardest for me to find.  When talking with Hansel a month back he told me sourcing of the #3 box was the hardest, perhaps they just didn't make as many of that size? Good call!  Check out the row of electric yellow.  That's what I'm missing.....