Vintage TV

Steph

I post about retro TV so often in the "What are you watching" thread I decided to make it a topic of its own.

Just watched a great Diagnosis Murder episode.  DM sucked as a crime procedural -- and lacked all plausibility in any way, shape or form -- but it rocked for the guest stars! 

Today's episode on MeTV had Barbara Bane reprising her role as Cinnamon Carter from Mission Impossible.  Also starring as part of her old spy team were Robert Culp from I Spy, Robert Vaughn from The Man from U.N.C.L.E, and Patrick Macnee from The Avengers.  

On another blast-from-the-past episode they had Joe Mannix return to finally find the murderer of a little girl's father.  The old episode had ended with him having broken up the crime ring which resulted in the father's death but not finding the trigger man.  So in the DM episode he found the killer.  A different actress played the grown-up girl but others of the adult cast members returned.

OMG, Robert Culp and Robert Vaughn in the same episode?  Although Ilya Kurakin was my favorite . . .

And I loved the Avengers . . .

I've been on a Murder She Wrote run lately . . .

41 minutes ago, Steph said:

:D  

Thank goodness for google.  Is this the show?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066672/

That's the one. I suspect a you-tube search will give you a sense of the programme. He's a man with style :)

I have a strange love of late 60's early 70's action series. Roger Moore and Tony Curtis in 'The Persuaders' is another that springs to mind.

p.s. Should this be in 'The Lounge' rather than 'Study Hall'?

The British shows I watch are Dr. Who and Red Dwarf.  

Trying to remember if there are any others.

Well, I KNOW there are others, but having trouble remembering.  Maybe not anything I watched on a regular basis. 

20 hours ago, Steph said:

The British shows I watch are Dr. Who and Red Dwarf.  

Trying to remember if there are any others.

Well, I KNOW there are others, but having trouble remembering.  Maybe not anything I watched on a regular basis. 

Tom Baker was my Doctor. I tried with the new series but it's not the same as classic Who.

I loved the first few seasons of Red Dwarf but the latter ones with the Bug didn't do it for me.

British sci-fi wise - 

Blake's 7 was good (although again  once the Liberator as lost it lost something). Do start at the beginning!

U,F.O, had some great episodes - very adult for Gerry Anderson. Live action like the later Space 1999

17 minutes ago, ann said:

Anybody else a fan of "The Prisoner?"

Yes - I'm a big fan and visited Portmerion a couple of times whilst living in Wales (didn't watch the 're-make').

I am not a number. I'm a free man!

9 hours ago, ann said:

You went there??  OMG.

I am not a number either.  Although for years I had a metal # 6 on my bedroom door . . .

>>> Steph.  You must.  !960s era . . .

It's a wonderfully weird place. If you cross the pond again I recommend a visit. Largely built from reclaimed architectural features, the buildings employ all sorts of optical illusions  - what looks a big grand building from a distance turns out to have small doors and windows close up. On a sunny day (admittedly a rarity in Wales) the beach is wonderful for a stroll (never saw Rover).

Be seeing you! 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...