eBay marble searches are back

Looks like ebay has fixed the search issue in the marbles catogory. If you go to a marble listing then you click on the listing category "Marbles" at the top of the page, it takes you to the marble listings. Then on the left side if you scroll down there is search enhancers like Pre 1970 and handmade.... Randy

That is just an optional listing detail a seller can choose to add (and as you can see only ~1200 listings out of ~20k used it). Still no date subcategories exist under Toy and Hobbies > Marbles, which means when people list them, they aren't offered those listing subcategories like they were before.

eBay's primary goal is $. They also watch metrics like traffic. No doubt since removing the subcategories they are getting increased traffic as we desperately surf and squint through the mess of grouped listings. This means somebody at eBay got a bonus at our expense, but how it affects sales may determine ultimately whether we get those categories back.

I don't even look at ebay. I use collectors weekly web site. They use thumbnails with links and have the listings in categories for high bid, most watched,ending soon and completed. Check it out and post what you think of the site

John

23 hours ago, bumblebee said:

That is just an optional listing detail a seller can choose to add (and as you can see only ~1200 listings out of ~20k used it). Still no date subcategories exist under Toy and Hobbies > Marbles, which means when people list them, they aren't offered those listing subcategories like they were before.

eBay's primary goal is $. They also watch metrics like traffic. No doubt since removing the subcategories they are getting increased traffic as we desperately surf and squint through the mess of grouped listings. This means somebody at eBay got a bonus at our expense, but how it affects sales may determine ultimately whether we get those categories back.

Optional:-) I tried it amazing thing was 30-40% of the listings were for Jabo. So this means the seller has to intentionally flood the pre 1970 with new marbles, no accidental listing in wrong category here. if I were looking for Jabo why would I look in pre 1970. Not changing the subject but Ebay has made searching for vintage,antique collectable marble a joke and it used to be easier to ignore the flooding of the jabos when you had hopes of finding marbles also listed that were at least appropriate to the category. No beefs with jabo collectors just the sellers,and EBAY.

In case anyone doesn't know this trick -- if a certain type such as "jabo" or "vacor" is appearing too often for your taste -- then you can put a minus sign in front of the name to exclude listings with that word.

-jabo -vacor

Combining that with the pre-1970 category might help. 

I use a dash before and after with a space between? my search looks like this with new additions as I get back to looking on ebay************                                                        marbles     -jabo- -southern_marbles- -TAMMY'S- -Jabo- -D.A.S- -vacor-

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 1:03 PM, Steph said:

In case anyone doesn't know this trick -- if a certain type such as "jabo" or "vacor" is appearing too often for your taste -- then you can put a minus sign in front of the name to exclude listings with that word.

-jabo -vacor

Hey, that's MY trick . . . :pirate: