Peltier Glass Toy Marbles Update

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoveled the snow from the sidewalk three times yesterday waiting for my book!  It didn't come, but my post man was happy. 

It's here today and it's sharp.  The color indexing is a nice touch on an already beautiful book. Going to be a helpful resource.

Stellar book with phenomenal pictures, a real tour de force on Peltier.  Much needed information with pictures of hard to find example and rarities.  I wouldn't be surprised if this sells out, I'd start the second printing now.  5 stars, thanks again!

Love my book for what i got with the great pics and very well laid out I think it was priced in our favor.

Thanks Sam,  Dennis

It's a well printed, solid book with sewn in pages - commensurate with it's list price. 

Some more acknowledgement should have been made to the more straightforward names which Peltier gave to his marbles.

For example, with the help of the flyer below (from http://marbleconnection.com/topic/20910-national-line-rainbos-vs-sunsets-1931/

National Rainbo is a two color marble.

National Sunset is a three color marble. (no such thing as a three color Rainbo)

National Glassonix is a multicolored marble with transparent glass (Gino figured out 'fruit cocktail' marbles were Glassonix)

Peerless marbles have a two color, opaque patch

Acme Realers have a two color translucent patch

1930%20Peltier%20backside_zpslnstnpkt.jp

Instead, in this book, within just a couple of pages, we have "yellow goblin", "green lantern", "pistaccio"(sic), "chocolate cow", "blue wasp", "salamander", "blue bee", "brown panther", "copperhead", "yellow lantern", etc.., and much importance is made of aventurine, which was likely produced accidentally.

I wonder if Sellers Peltier is laughing or rolling over in his grave, or, most likely, both.

Well, Steph now has a lot of updating to do in her 'Name Game'.

http://marbleconnection.com/topic/6843-name-game/

Hansel,

i appreciate your input however do not appreciate your note that Sellers Peltier would be laughing and turning in his grave. During my work I communicated with you and asked you your opinion on my chapter classification, even asked you if you wanted to write anything and below is your response to me:

"Thanks for the kind offer for me to write something for the book, but unfortunately I know nothing about Peltier that has not already been hashed and rehashed in existing books."

Hansel, I can take criticism without any problems however please keep your arrogance to yourself.

Sami

2 hours ago, machinemades said:

Hansel,

i appreciate your input however do not appreciate your note that Sellers Peltier would be laughing and turning in his grave. During my work I communicated with you and asked you your opinion on my chapter classification, even asked you if you wanted to write anything and below is your response to me:

"Thanks for the kind offer for me to write something for the book, but unfortunately I know nothing about Peltier that has not already been hashed and rehashed in existing books."

Hansel, I can take criticism without any problems however please keep your arrogance to yourself.

Sami

Sami,  Not trying to be arrogant, although as I had suspected, any informed comment these days which could be taken as constructive criticism, could also mistakenly be taken as arrogance.  Just for the record, your request of me to contribute something in writing was made 2/26/14, over 3 years ago.

At the time, I really knew no more about Peltier than the little bits that had already been written in several marble books.  My full response was:

"Hi Sami, Thanks for the kind offer for me to write something for the book, but unfortunately I know nothing about Peltier that has not already been hashed and rehashed in existing books.
I'm looking forward to reading and learning from your book!
Did you contact ____   ____? Sounds as if she may have some good information. Here's some correspondence I had with her some 7 years ago when I bought those advertising printing blocks on eBay.   Hansel "

I was (and still am) rooting for you, or anyone else who can publish an authoritative book on Peltier marbles.

Migbar's post containing that informative jobber's pricelist was on 6/27/15, some 16 months after my correspondence with you.

Since then I have learned that there had been, and still is, an enormous amount to learn about Peltier marbles; much of the information from postings on this board.  For example, many Peltier related patents here:

http://marbleconnection.com/topic/10736-patents/

So cheer up.  Your book would have elicited some strong emotion from Sellers Peltier.  I was just speculating about his reaction over the myriad of names made up by collectors.

Hansel, your 'constructive criticism' has gotten you blocked twice by me. Nothing constructive about it. always total arrogance, as seen here.  While we are not a fan of the name game, it is there. and as you admittedly do not know your peltiers, and are siting older generic info.  the collector names used in the book have all been around for quite some time and are totally understood by the pelt collectors. 

Sami, I know you worked very hard on this book. Don't let any trolls or haters bring ya down. :-)

E&D

I really have no business posting to this thread but,,, from the outside looking in, I would think that if Sellers Peltier was to read some of the names he would laugh and say. "Damn! where we're these names when I was trying to market my marbles?" One must admit that some of the names are very fitting.

On 3/17/2017 at 11:37 AM, zaboo said:

Hansel, your 'constructive criticism' has gotten you blocked twice by me. Nothing constructive about it. always total arrogance, as seen here.  While we are not a fan of the name game, it is there. and as you admittedly do not know your peltiers, and are siting older generic info.  the collector names used in the book have all been around for quite some time and are totally understood by the pelt collectors. 

Sami, I know you worked very hard on this book. Don't let any trolls or haters bring ya down. :-)

E&D

Dani,

Why the hostility?  What I'm pointing out, in essence, is that since they are now readily available, some more acknowledgement of the original names of these marbles should have been made.  If for no other reason, out of respect for Sellers Peltier's genius.

Hansel

Hansel,

the info you are talking about was not available to me when I was working on the book, or at least I wasn't aware of it. Also, although it could have been mentioned in the book about these names (if I knew the information), just one paper does not classify the whole production line. They could have called on advertisement one year "National Sunset", next year something else. What I have included in the book is accurate as far as type of marbles, the construction, timeline, and how they are referred/classified today by contemporary collectors.

PS: Sellers Peltier would have a smile on his face if he knew about this book, not turn in his grave. That is a constructive criticism in your understanding? Wow....

Sami

I rarely post to these chats, but I'm going to step in here,  First of all, hats off to Sami and Mike (and Gino above) for the time spent working on this book.  You guys did a great job and the end result proved a job well done.  As we all know and have experienced, one of the problems with trying to communicate over email/text, etc., is that things can be taken out of context.  I think that is what happened with Hansel's post.  If anyone over the years has contributed and shared his collection with those in the hobby as it relates to writing books, who comes close?  Go ahead, look at any of the books from the past and you will see Hansel's collection, page after page after page.  So although we are all entitled to our opinions, lets keep things in perspective.  Getting tied up in controversy like this is simply petty.  After all, this is a hobby! I shared my collection in Sami's book...and i did it so the hobby could enjoy some of what I have, with the hope to show even more in the future.  If i made a comment or suggestion, and then took a verbal lashing from so many in the hobby, do you really think for a minute I would even consider opening my door in the future?  My humble suggestion is to move forward and use the energy for something positive and put this to rest....

...as far as the "smiling or rolling in grave" is concerned.  If today, Sellers Peltier could see what his marbles have turned into and what they have become in this hobby, I think we can all agree that it is certainly a wonder how he would react.  Even Gino mentioned to me many times, laughing, "that if Sellers could see what we were doing, why he'd think we were all nuts"!  So I took what Hansel said as something along those lines and not as being critical.  Good night.