Are you an Alley Pistachio purist?

Steph

Like frozen mint chocolate chip ice cream?  When the chocolate chips start to melt you get some brown swirls in there...I'm still looking for one without the brown. 

Seriously though, Pistachio nuts have that green hue that the namesake marbles are most associated with.  I like to see a couple flame tips as well, but maybe that's just me.

For me the Alley Pistachio has a green base with a few different shades of green. The swirls or flames should be very dark or look black not blue or brown. Most important the green will glow under blacklight.  This is what I know as a Alley Pistachio. As usual some like to stretch the name to make the marble they have fit with a name. You now might see any shade lightest to darkest green base and all shades of swirls or flames of blue brown gray black even purple. Plus today very few called Alley Pistachio glow at all. I feel that sometimes the family thing gets stretched enough that what the original was is forgotten. Or never researched enough to even learn what it actually was suppose to be. So I am more likely picky with my range of what is called a certain name.

I'll agree with Ron, and say I favor a stricter definition in many cases...I don't really like to see more common marbles conflated with more desirable ones. Sometimes it's necessary, but sometimes it gets overdone. Pistachio color with black ribbons and flames, and glows is what I learned these were. But it is a puzzle too sometimes.  Like this one below: Where does the variation in the base glass end, and how black do the ribbons need to be? This one glows like crazy, but is leaning away from opaque, and the green is less variegated; overall more wispy.  What about ones like this?  John

1889raw copy.jpg

• 1 month later...

So ... got some sweet mibs 2 and a half years ago ... big variety ... and mostly went off in the Pelt direction with my sort.  Left some Akros and some swirls in the sorting box which was under my bed.  And one thing led to another and I never got back to the swirls.  Until today.

Lookie what I found. 

The black-looking one on the right has a glowing base.  

Pistachio_05.jpg

• 2 months later...