78 Marbles in Groups

emmasorbet

Hi all!

My boyfriend and I found these marbles in our garage! I was going to give them away for free, but then I started Googling marbles and realized they might be worth something. I also love pretty things, so I'd just like to know what everything is.

I've photographed the first group of 78 marbles in smaller sub-groups (2-4 per group). I tried to sort them by "type," although I am completely new to this - so forgive me if I sorted them badly.

I have uploaded them all to Dropbox, including a group shot. Each marble has a number (1-78) on the photo title (it goes from left to right) - and the group shot shows their numbers.

I would love some help! And thank you! Here is the link to my Dropbox folders (and here's the URL written out https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4y0aktlrrbrio87/AAAZT_SioVhDx8meQTZniRfxa?dl=0)

All the best,

Emma

Hi Emma, welcome.

The pictures are nicely ordered, lots of view.  But a lot to tackle at once.

I looked at a bunch of the pictures. So far they almost all look to be from the 1930s through 1960's.  With most in the 1950's and 60's range. 

I saw a couple (so far) which might be a little older or a little newer.

You are on the right track with your MK patch and ribbons.  Did you figure out yet that the yellow and brown patch and ribbons are called Bumble Bees?   Very popular marbles.  Everyone needs a bumblebee!  Worth a dollar or two apiece. 

(So far I'm not seeing high dollar marbles.  But a solid vintage group.)  

I'll try to drop back in soon.  Hopefully someone else will play along while I'm gone.

You're on the money with your "MK p&r green and white" being Marble King.

Your "P&r (maybe) red-orange and white" are also Marble King patch and ribbons.

This style was called "Rainbow" by Marble King.  With the basic white plus one other color they're not as valuable as the Bumble Bee or other styles with special names (such as Wasp, Tiger, Cub Scout, Girl Scout, Dragonfly, etc.)  With the plain white the value is less than $1 apiece.  The others  I mentioned with the special names start getting a little pricier. I haven't seen those in your group though.

Your "P&r (maybe) blue and white" need another look.  

Ah, now I see how the numbers work. The blues are #48, 22, 58, 71 and then #53 in photos by itself.  Well, #71 appears to be Marble King P&R.  The others I don't think so.  #22 and 58 might be Akro patches.  Specifically Akro Royals.  I'm leaning Vitro for #53.  #48 might be a more modern Marble King style.  Not a traditional "patch and ribbon" pattern.

Well, those are my thoughts on the first three folders.  I'll take a breather now.

Hi Steph,

Thank you so much for doing this. Much appreciated. I know it's a lot.

Very cool, though, to have more info. All things considered, I'll probably keep the marbles with notes about what is what - they don't take up much space, after all and I think some of them are very pretty.

I actually do have six bumblebees, but I didn't include them because I (think I) know what they are - they are the easiest to recognize.

Best,

Emma

:thup: 

"UM blue and white swirls clear center"

The first one here, #42, is a West Virginia swirl.  WV swirl for short.  Around 10 companies in West Virginia made similar marbles, so we often lump them together under that name.  Sometimes we'll try to narrow down the company.  It's an inexact science though.

#42 could be from the Ravenswood or Alley company.

I was having trouble getting a vibe from the next two.  But now I think the middle one, #18, might be a Peltier.  

The last one, #10, is still not speaking to me.  

"UM brown, orange and white (and one with blue)"

The first two (#62 and 63) are blackline All Reds from Vitro.  Circa late 1950's.

The third, #74, may also be a Vitro.  From the 1930's if I'm seeing it correctly.  We would call it a Tri-Lite.  IF it's what I think it is.  Need more views to confirm. Would be helpful to see the seams aka cutlines head-on.   

"UM cat's eyes (not sure)"

The first and third (#2 and 6) are Vitro cat's eyes.  Because they have more than one color, they're called hybrid.  (Usually hybrid applies to something which isn't intentionally made that way.  These cat's eyes were intentional, but we still call them hybrid.)

This style is from 1960 give or take. 

The middle one, #26, is also a cat's eye but looks like a different maker.  Possibly Marble King.  I could tell better if I saw the ends of the marble.  

12 hours ago, budwas said:

I went thru them but not sure how they are numbered. 

Sorry! It makes sense to me, but I know it's confusing. The numbers are just randomly assigned, based on the group shot pic I took (so I know what is what).

Each folder contains jpg images with numbers that identify the marbles left to right.

Thank you so much - and no rush on the ID's. It's a lot! Much appreciated though. Loving the info.

"UM small creamy, swirly with clear center"

#31 ... in one view looks like an Akro corkscrew. But I think it's likely a WV swirl.  

#32 and 54 are probably "game marbles", since your title suggests the size is on the small side.  They can have some subtle variations in color but they're thought of as "single color" and are for things like Chinese Checkers.  Probably the same for #35, 16, 50 and 28.  

"Unrelated pair - blue, green, yellow and white; bloo… black and white"

I think Vitro on both of these.  The question is age.  I'm not quite sure I'm making out the structure of the first one, #66.  Is the blue color on the surface in this one?  Could be we're looking at a Tiger Eye from the 1950's.  

The 2nd one, #69, appears to be a Vitro Tri-Lite, from the 1930's. 

Folder #14

"Unrelated quadruplet - rust and white; blue and clear; rainbow"

#1 Vitro Conqueror, 1940's

#4 Asian cat's eye ... this could be one of your newer marbles.  There _were_ Asian cat's eyes in the 1950s, but they've been making 'em nonstop since then until the present time.  Hard to date Asian cat's eyes.  But the very earliest ones tended to be neatly made and had clearer base glass.  

#5 and #46 Marble King Tri-Color Rainbow, late 1950's to early 1960's.

Well, I'm off to do some heavy-duty gardening ... digging up sod ... hauling in dirt.  Happy Saturday.

Well, looks like I'm the only one playing.  I'm still game.  Just going slow.  Was a long day. 

"Unrelated quadruplet - Vitro blackline style all red; …llow and orange"

Two of 'em are Vitro blackline All Reds, as you suggest.  #27 and #41.

#29 is a regular All Red.

#34 is probably also a Vitro.  I'm not sure about style name though.

"Unrelated triplet - small green, transparent swirl, possible slag"

#24 ... not seeing enough ... can't make out what's inside

#21:  WV swirl

#15:  Yikes.  I see why you say "possible slag".   You could be right.  Sometimes it's hard to tell if something is a slag or a "transparent swirl".  And right now I'm not comfortable saying on this one.  @lstmmrbls@jeeperman? anyone? wanna peek in at that link and see if the red and white marble speaks to you?