Any luck yardsale-ing or antiquing?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No luck here, but I did bring my box of "sellers" to my in-law's yard sale. I put a sign that said one free vintage marble with every item purchased. Within a couple of hours the yardsalers cleaned me out paying $0.25 each.

Selling them and listening to older folks talk about playing marbles as children was almost as fun as finding some myself. I like to think I spread the fever a bit, especially for the man who bought $15 worth of my oldest ones for his grandson.

Went to an estate sale last weekend, 4,000,000.00 house it was for sale. My wife got a watch for 20.00 checked the price online 1,100.00+, 14 ct. earrings for 15.00 checked online designer died in 2006 a gallery had a pair of her earring's in silver for 600.00+. spent about 300.00 still looking up prices. They had art glass pieces with receipts showing prices from 4,000.00 to 6,000.00 all marked from 400.00 to 800.00.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   John

Neat story, Jason.  I asked about marbles  at some of the sales and one of the sellers did have marbles at home -- but not selling -- she had some sulphides, so I got to talk about 'em a little and share some factoids even if I didn't get to see 'em. 

Cool, John!  (Is she ebaying the watch?  Or happy to now have a $1000 watch of her own?) 

I picked up some old books for 50 cents ea, and some old bottles for 5 cents each.  Couldn't pass them up for that price.  One of the old medical books had an invitation in it from 1866 to other local doctors to discuss a new medical act.  Need to do some more research on that. 

She's happy with the watch and 4 sets of earrings. The woman who's mother died flew in to clear things out before the house was listed. There were 4 display cases in the living room with art glass half of the kitchen cabinets were display cases.with antique window doors from France. The house is made of logs some over 3 ft in diameter the central spiral staircase was 3 stories around a massive tree trunk.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            John

Hi all. I'm normally just an observer of everyone's lovely mibs on this forum, but I wanted share this wild find. I went to a large outdoor flea market last weekend - no marbles to be seen. Then I stopped at a small antique shop on the way home. I perused a few jars of mibs sitting on the counter but found nothing of interest. I was prepared to leave empty-handed when the owner noticed me looking at the jars. He asked, "Are you a collector?" I nodded and watched as he headed for a cabinet behind the counter and out came a small wooden box. He said he used to collect Popeyes. I was prepared to see only Akros (which he did have and some beauties to boot) when I spotted these two minty Pelts! Got 'em for $10 a piece and came home pretty dang happy.

(Side note: I've been trying to decipher if the John Deere has ox or if it is just the green ribbon diving and appearing darker. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a Deere with ox?)

IMG_9843.JPG

IMG_9844.JPG

IMG_9848.JPG

IMG_9849.JPG

IMG_9850.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well, these are pretty much only worth the quarter I paid for 'em, but hey, marbles!  From a yard sale! ... still all I've found and I have spent all my yard sale money for awhile. :P 

StarTrek%20002b_1000.jpg

StarTrek%20011b_700.jpg

What a nice little haul.  Slaggalicious.

What are the translucent white ones in the back right?

(Wondering if they could be Master Cloudys, (edit: if they're machine-made)) 

Google definitely wants us to go over there to see the photo. Don't see a way to make it show here.  It's worth the click.  

Straight seams, huh?  Maybe not a slam dunk Master but still my best guess with that glass consistency and no glow.  

Master Cloudys are like Easter Eggs.  Hidden away among the solid colored marbles which don't have a glow.  Anyway ... I think there's something special about your two, especially since they were found in that group.