Sonny Miller

Steph

I knew sonny pretty well, he was like family in west Virginia. I spent time hangin with him. hate to hear of his passing. my deepest sympathy to john and family, boyd and family. sonny will be missed, its a sad day ;0(   scottpatrick

• 1 month later...

I just happened to stumble on the obituary of John Miller, a long time collector and maker from WVA and father of makers John Hamon and Boyd Miller. Some of you, like me, may have met one or more of them at shows, and have a couple of their works. John H. used to have a shop and furnace down by the river in Hannibal, Mo. but I couldn't find an online listing for him. 

Here's a link to the obituary;

http://www.allenfuneralhomewv.com/notices/JohnSonny-Miller

I knew Sonny, but not really well. Although, I do remember hanging out with him at the Sistersville Marble Festival for pretty much a whole day quite a few years ago. He really was a great guy and man did he like marbles. That day, he had bought a huge collection of old marbles - like a van load. We worked a deal and, somehow, I wound up sorting the entire collection for him (if I remember right, Edna wound up with a nice clear-based Berry Pink that day). We really clicked and had a great time together. He was tending his tables and every time I found a good marble I'd show it to him and we'd admire it together. He had lots of knowledge and all kinds of great stories to tell. I learned a few things that day, for sure, and I feel fortunate to have been able to share that particular day with him, since he always seemed to be in his full glory at a marble show. No doubt, I'll miss seeing him around.

• 2 years later...