Got some Champions from the bay

Mikie_T

Hello all,

cruising on the bay, I see a fellow that says he bought the old Alley Marble Factory and the Champion warehouse years ago at auction. Maybe y'all know who this is. Anyway, I got myself a few Champions. Not too bad I guess but I am wondering if anyone can say by looking at them what year they were made? 

Weren't the last Champions made about 2000?

Anyway, here they are.

Lot_2.jpg

Lot_bonus.jpg

Old Fashion blue_2.jpg

Old Fashion orange_2.jpg

I think Champion operated for a few years after 2000 but I am not sure, and it would not surprise me if these marbles were made sometime in the eighties or later. As for an exact year, I don't know that Champion production was that carefully documented, at least I have not seen any such documentation.

First group is the time frame of the furnace marbles.

The second group is from the late 1990's. 

The others are from about 1984.

I don't think the seller ever had his name on the deed. That can be checked out easy enough.  He had the highest bid at the auction. But the auctioneer told me that he backed out and never paid for it.  I think that if you bought something that means you paid for it.   

6 hours ago, wvrons said:

I don't think the seller ever had his name on the deed. That can be checked out easy enough.  He had the highest bid at the auction. But the auctioneer told me that he backed out and never paid for it.  I think that if you bought something that means you paid for it.   

I see you do know the background for this fellows claim. I wondered if the whole thing was a scam but I see he has 100% good feedback so I bought with confidence. Yep, he did say in his description that he bought the factory at auction so you are right on. 

SO........., is this guy going on the property he doesn't own and recovering marbles that are not his, then selling to people like me that don't know any better?

??????

Mike

The marbles are Champion. I was at the auction. Marbles were sold at the auction. The property was up for auction. I could be wrong but I do not think the property deed ever changed after the auction until a local lawyer purchased the property. Then it was sold by him.  After that the new owner did not pay the taxes. I think the City or county took it for back taxes. It now belongs to a local excavating contractor. Myself and two friends had a signed lease to dig the property over a year and half period. 

The marbles are Champion and fine. The seller did buy marbles at the auction.  I am not sure why he needs to add that he bought the property ? 

Not sure. I like the marbles and the price was right so I am happy. 

I don't want to step into the quagmire of finger pointing. I don't know the guy that sold me the marbles and he does have 100% good feedback. So...... I have no beef with this fellow. I just fugured y'all knew this guy as a source or Champions. 

Mike