Subtle but Eye-catching Nudity

orbboy

2 hours ago, Mikie_T said:

That is a really nice marble for sure..... I think I am a bit confused about the "nudity" part but still.... a beauty of a marble.

The inner strings of glass are really interesting.....

Mike

I'm not up on the German handmade terminology.  But I think this one is "naked" because it just has the one layer of action, in the inner core. No extra action at/near the surface.  

11 hours ago, LindPW said:

These two are naked Masters. I normal see them with a colored base or the very striking sunburst. Very unusual, to me that is.

5B929845-28B7-422A-945A-DD17C327AB4F.jpeg

"Naked" is a term used in handmades for some time.  I've never heard it used to refer to a machine made.

I think the term you are looking for is "anemic" - which is used to describe machine mades that didn't receive enough colored glass.  Usually those were discarded.

Here are a few more examples of Naked Handmades. 2 on the left are Solid Cores, top right is a Divided Core (sort of). Bottom right is a totally different type that just happens to look naked. It's actually an Onionskin that is shrunken. Since Onions were never ment to have outer bands of colour, they can't really be naked. Sometime they did not fill the whole marble and are refered to as shrunken. Pretty easy to see the differance between it and the Naked Solid Cores dispite the similer looking construction.

naked1.jpg

naked12.jpg

7 hours ago, Alan said:

"Naked" is a term used in handmades for some time.  I've never heard it used to refer to a machine made.

I think the term you are looking for is "anemic" - which is used to describe machine mades that didn't receive enough colored glass.  Usually those were discarded.

I did not know that!🤔 wow so much to learn. Thanks for the heads up.