Is it a Pelt slag?

sprchik

• 1 month later...

No, I didn't ask why they thought it was Pelt. It was Kevin Plummer and... who else was there, Ed Parsons I think? that were looking at it and said for sure Pelt.

And I can't see any physical seams anywhere on it. But there are a couple spots where the pattern abruptly terminates, where I imagine a seam should be if it was visible --

20180205_193700_zpse9rvesnj.jpg

20180205_193858_zpszbrzmlbd.jpg

And there are lots of "sugar-water" effect tracings of the white below the surface (and that's a nice way to describe it!)... here are a few I've circled, maybe it's hard to tell from the pics that these are sub-surface?

20180205_193739_zps6mwkrsx3.jpg

20180205_193936_zpslb0dwuor.jpg

(note in the larger circle in above photo -- the white line about center of the marble, that briefly cuts through my mark is not sub-surface. All the other white in the mark is though) 

I brought up the objections I had heard, like the "U" shape, and how Pelt slag white tends to be more equatorial... and was shown examples that defy those. So, I guess those are good things to look for to help affirm ID, but not things that should be used to rule something out???

I guess the only issue I'd have with it is that giving up ground on qualities that tightly define the feathered pelts would produce more than there probably should be.  Feathered pelts relative to other slags are rare in the absolute sense and have a pretty tight size range at about 9/16 - 3/4.  If that had been clear instead of blue I wonder if the ID would have gone the same way

Well, at least the size on this one is right! 21/32 is smack dab in the middle of that 9/16 - 3/4 range. 

I just got some backlit pics, looks pretty neat. And I took a brief video of it moving...

Here's the video: 

And here are some backlit pics: 

20180206_151943_zpsb66zc9tj.jpg

20180206_152113_zpsrs620vug.jpg

It's so interesting how different it looks backlit than normal lighting! Check out this next collage -- the top two photos are of the exact same position, just the first one is regular lighting, the second one is backlit. Same for the bottom two photos. 

The tracing going sub-surface from the white on the surface is really cool!

20180206_152407_zpsuecwdbds.jpg