It's just an ole paperweight

Mikie_T

I found this nice piece of glass and had to have it. I haven't found any marbles that turned my crank lately so I had to have this "big 'un"....

I thought it was sort of ugly at first but the more I looked at it, the better I liked it. There is a bunch of really thin pieces of glass running though this joker. Anyway.... it's somethin' new to look at.

5a37c2dfc365f_swirl2.jpg.a12234dcbfe0a827dc4dc67d754bf2fa.jpg

5a37c2eec8557_swirl4.jpg.a67f8d654566d21dd7137044a5231de6.jpg

IMG_2197.JPG.73fdf3788dda390950cc1e589c6c2b16.JPG

Thanks for looking .....

Mike

8 minutes ago, Steph said:

I'd probably have it on my table right now if I had found it.  How big is big?

Let's see here..... It's right about 2 3/8". My caliper jaws won't touch the outside faces so I am guessing.

On my desk at work there is never a pile of paper to hold down so I just have it sitting under my monitor. Nice to look at occasionally....

LOL.... Exactly Steph.... Must..... have.... glass.....

Well, in that case (LOL) ..... You just need to TOTALLY forget that antique Venetian GLASS BEADS exist. And YES, they have a beauty all their own.

I would hate to even think these were a fore runner of marbles........ They were made by wrapping layers of hot colored glass to make a long cane and then the beads were formed by cutting off small pieces of that cane. (sound familiar)

Have a look at these feather beads.......

5a3bab6b2cb00_featherbeads.jpg.2ae12e73c99e72bfc5b1122e53f52bcb.jpg

Oh, and glass beads come in all sorts of colors and designs..... Do you see another collecting avenue here?... (LOL)

Mike

(aka... the devil on your shoulder)

My son has my bead collection now. But there are some beautiful and rare colors of antique glass beads out there.

Then, there are some very historic beads, like these Lewis and Clark beads. Made especially for their trip while searching for the northwest passage.

5a3badc383a3c_LewisClarkExamples.jpg.23523bba47c7fd16b15fa7ad4e84e85e.jpg

Or how about some Chevron beads.......

chevron-beads.jpg.7d3948f3d82837a1e89a5a9ff49abe28.jpg

Oh well..........Onward!!

Mike