Indianapolis Show?

sprchik

I'm itching to attend my first marble show... Indianapolis is next weekend, and probably the closest show I'll ever be to -- only about 4hrs from Lansing, an easy day trip(s) for me. 

Curious though -- has anyone here been to the Indianapolis show before?

Anyone planning on going to this one? 

If you have been before: Would you recommend it as a good first show for a newbie? 

All thoughts about shows welcome, interested in hearing about them. Thanks! 

I've been to the winter indy show before a couple times. It's defiantly worth the trip. It's usually a smaller show but some very good dealers attend. I would recommend getting there the day before the show. People open up their rooms and have marbles displayed for sale. It's fun to take your time and not be rushed. You will get to know people and hear some good stories.  I recommend taking a small flashlight and a magnifying glass and bring marbles if you want to sell some while room trading. A good tip would be not to rush, check out all the rooms/marbles before making any purchases and save some cash for the show, some dealers just set up for the show. I'm a minority here and some don't like what I am about to say but most shows I just spend a couple nights in the hotel room buying and don't even go to the actual show, I like to sleep in!

Decatur Illinois is a good show, and the Ohio shows are good. 

Haha, well I'm having trouble with my 4x4 truck, so am stuck in my tiny little sub-compact Chevy Sonic that does pretty horrible in the snow. I nearly got stuck a few blocks from my house on the unplowed neighborhood streets about a week ago, lol. So my going totally depends on what my car can handle. I don't think I'll have my truck fixed by then, but maybe... 

Hi.

Mike Adams here.  Our Indy Show should have good weather this year.  Cold but sunny.  Getting the snow out of our system this weekend. : )  We have about 25 rooms already reserved. 

I'm pleased to hear that we are known as a nice friendly little show.  It has always been our goal to first, have a great time, laugh, see old friends and make new ones.  Folks bring parts of their collections for display.  Those displays will bounce your chin off the floor!  You'll find some great marbles too!!

All good advice above in the posts above.  I'll make the following additions.  Travel safe.  Come with an inquisitive mind; lots of people to help with your questions.  Decades of knowledge will be on hand.  And last, be excited.  You'll find that we are.

Q

Thanks for posting, Mike(Q)! I'm pretty excited, glad to have one so relatively close to me. 4 hrs one way ain't bad! 

Oooweee, but KS is a 10-11 hr one way drive for me... I doubt I could ever make that one. Not while I have dogs, anyway. 4 hrs, I can drive there & back for 1 or 2 days, still be home to feed my doggos 2x every day.

Does the in room trading start (tomorrow) Thursday Jan 4th? 

Trying to decide which days to go. I'd like to see the actual tables set up at the show on Saturday, as well as check out the in room trading. 

Think more people will be there on Friday for in room, than Thursday? 

Or is it better to get there early like Thursday and see/be able to buy stuff that might be gone by Friday???

Or does in room not even start tomorrow, haha! Is it just Friday? 

Thanks!

In room trading buying and selling starts Thursday. I recommend to attend on Friday and late night. Saturday is show day. It will be in two separate rooms if as usual. If I could only attend 8 or 12 hours it would be Friday. Bring a good flashlight. Bring lots of cash, double what you think, someone told me triple LOL. There is a ATM there. There should be a list of marble people's room numbers at the front desk or in the main lobby. Visit every room and some twice. Something to put your finds in. Ask lots of questions, you will get answers.  Warm clothes it will be below zero. Look me up, most people know me.

WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!!!! I had such a great time! Met so many WONDERFUL people, saw (and bought!) amazing marbles! I was nearly brought to tears by the generosity and pure awesomness of some folks... y'all truly made this a welcoming and special show for me. ❤

After ~16hrs of driving, 1000+ miles between Fri & Sat, very little sleep, and then busy all day out of the house Sunday... I think I'm finally caught up on my sleep and have free time to get some pictures taken. Lots from the show, plus 3 packages that arrived Thur-Sat that I haven't had time to get pics of yet either. So expect a picture bonanza over the next few days as I finally get photographing and cropping and collage-ing and uploading!