Butt Cracks

It's the opposite of how you get flames.

Flames come from  a very thin stream of  molten glass layering back and forth in the mound of glass which becomes the marble.  

The buttcrack marble came from a wider stream of glass allowing only one fold before there was enough glass to form the marble.

Hey, did that sound like I know what I'm talking about?  

I think it's right ... but wait for more answers!

It did sound like you knew exactly what you were talking about Steph. =} I think you are fairly on target, although there may be slightly more to it depending on which flames. I say this because on some transparent Alley the flame seems to be on one side and on the other side an area of transparent only straight up the center between  the pattern  as if the glass was folded and the flames stretched around the opposite side as the two halves come together. in these, there is nearly always a single bubble trapped towards the bottom right near center.  Just some random observations that may mean nothing. =} I think this photo shows what I mean easier than many, it is easier to see than to photograph in transparents. not exactly a butt crack but maybe similar idea. 

random killers (2).jpg