Alternative Restoration

Scoop

Hopefully, new types of restoration methods will always be thought up by someone who is willing to experiment... The ultimate goal is to restore a damaged marble to it's best potential, while altering it's original appearance as little as possible. Positive and negative aspects of the restoration process need to be weighed. As long as there are any negatives to a process, there is room for something better. This space is for those who feel they have hit on a better idea...

The only one I can think of to be listed here, is the practice of "filling." Filling is a tedious job of using a non-yellowing epoxy to fill chips on a marble's surface.

The following are restorers who use alternative restoration methods...

(Please note that this is an open listing space... Members of this board do not necessarily know, or endorse the restorers listed... Please seek recommmendations or visit the "Feedback file" for individual reputations.)

• 2 years later...
Hopefully, new types of restoration methods will always be thought up by someone who is willing to experiment... The ultimate goal is to restore a damaged marble to it's best potential, while altering it's original appearance as little as possible. Positive and negative aspects of the restoration process need to be weighed. As long as there are any negatives to a process, there is room for something better. This space is for those who feel they have hit on a better idea...

The only one I can think of to be listed here, is the practice of "filling." Filling is a tedious job of using a non-yellowing epoxy to fill chips on a marble's surface.

The following are restorers who use alternative restoration methods...

(Please note that this is an open listing space... Members of this board do not necessarily know, or endorse the restorers listed... Please seek recommmendations or visit the "Feedback file" for individual reputations.)

My vice is making rock spheres from 1/2" to bowling ball size, usually out of Agate.

Although any rock without cracks is suitable for making a sphere.

With rock, one needs to use a silicon carbide grit with a water drip.

To get an excellent polish on the harder type rocks, one needs to use a diamond paste

towards the last polishing stages.

I have all 3 head grinding machines which gives nearly a perfect roundness when finished compared to 2 head machines.

Would the diamond paste use on smaller marbles work with my machine methods?

Thank you.

Bob

• 9 months later...

To "cook," as people sometimes call it, a marble to ATTEMPT to repair it, you need some basic equipment:

You need to have a kiln, digital controller is best = $600

You need a torch, Minor is best = $250

You need special glasses = $200

You need glass mandrels, tweezers = $20

You need approximately a year of experience with torching before you can safely TRY to repair any marble.

I don't want to throw a blanket on anyone's vigor, but this is fact - ask me, I am a marble repair person...lol

I've been torching for almost 10 years now. The glass is going to do what IT wants to do no matter what experience one has.

To see some of my repair work, check out the repair threads I posted.