Red Slags

Road Dog

Well....I actually posted pictures of 3 different marbles that I think are purple slags. My naming convention leaves a bit to be desired since I named them Purple, PurpulePelt (sic), and PurpleSlag.

I think they all three are really purple. The colors in the pictures are depicted pretty much as they are. If you go to the web site links there are multiple pictures of each marble.

I love this thread. I think slags are so cool.

Thanks,

Suzie

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest browse4antiques

Slags just seem to have such individual personalities. It always seems that I can never get enough. Here are some of my red ones. ... Roger

post-279-1221927309_thumb.jpg

I'm so glad someone posted this topic....I've been seperating my slags by color for a while now. I still have a bunch more to go and I have some handgatherd ones in a seperate drawer...at least I'm hoping they are handgatherered. 99.9 % of these come directly from my childhood. I had a lot more of these but they were so beat up, I was too attached to just throw them away so I gave them to a super nice person on the board who will fix them and bring them back to their former beauty....seems like when I get them from ebay or in the wild they are all beat up and that bothers me because these guys have a beauty all their own. Too bad that I have no clue as to who made what, when, or where. I'm just in awe. I know mine don't compete with some of the beauties you guys are showing but well....here you go, I hope you like them.

Patty

Marbleclueless that one is nice! Alot of open clear

Marbleus1 that #2 marble is "Da Bomb" #4 has a great wrap on it.

Roger awesome group! That pic isn't copyrighted is it?

RAR Slagtastic Group! Didn't know you even colected Slags til recently. Hold'n out on us?

Patty great bunch there alot of aqua and clears. I'd keep those too.

Akronmarbles, I've been wondering for a while now just how big particular colors got under MFC. That larger purple HG in your post got me thinking. I know we've discussed brown and blue at some other point on this board but how about green, purple, and clear? They had to be at or over 1 1/4"....right?

-Brad

Edit: The largest blue I have seen was 1 11/16" but the pattern was no where near as nice as the blue you have shown there. Its really an outstanding example.

finally had a few minutes to enjoy the show.....really nice stuff, everyone! i don't have any photos of any red ones, but here are a few harder-to-find colors....

CAelectricslag.jpg

5ee53566.jpg

(david, you didn't happen to save pictures of that killer maple MFC i bought from you, did you?)

Great Thread RD!!! Thanks so much for getting us back on track!!!

(Funny, just before you posted the other thread, I was thinkin' "Gee, this would be a good time for RD Jr. pictures!!!!" LOL)

That green one in the center of your pic is one of those that you can feel pulling you down inside the glass!!

When I was a kid, these were my favorites. I called them "creamers" because they reminded me of how cream looks when it's first poured into hot coffee.....

;)

As far as sizes go = 1 and 5/8" is about tops for the cobalt ones - the largest purple MFC I have seen is 1.25". The green and amber can be found up to 1 and 7/8". I am not sure about white - maybe 1.25 to 1.5".

The glass egg I posted is hollow - it measures about 3" in length. It's the only one I have ever encountered.

Second group runs from 9/16" up to i think 13/16" and all in between. Just some examples of pattern/color combo that I like. Anything over an inch in white/clear is pretty darn rare. I'd say its probably as tough to find as purple in that size...maybe a little more.

-Brad

Edit:

Heres an informative post on the upper limits for some of the other colors that are out there. Some very expensive and rare slags pictured in this one:

http://www.landofmarbles.com/phpbb/showthr...ight=clear+slag

This post is one of my favorites to refer back to, there are so many large htf colors pictured all in one group.

Heres another really good one for the big guys:

http://www.landofmarbles.com/phpbb/showthread.php?t=5759

The second post is much much older and no longer has the photos intact...maybe if we ask nicely/pester :)

-Brad

I'm all about that clear slag Brad. Took me long enough to find an inch one. :blink:

That is an awesome significant egg there Brian. Thanks fer showing.

Never get tired of those boxed slags Dan. Drool

Here is as big as M.F. Christensen made. between 1 7/8 and 2" dia.

post-83-1171833102_thumb.jpg

Who does not love red slags?

Brad

Could be the angle but it looks like there are some very large reds in there. How big are the biggest ones? RD I hear ya man, they are a tough find! I was trying to find the thread you had running a long time ago about big clears. Someone had some shots in there of a 1 1/4" whose pattern blows mine away.

Here we go:

http://marbleconnection.invisionzone.com/i...ic=1214&hl=

Zaboo knows where the monster is! Or knew anyways.

-Brad