Mostly Pix - Champion Agates

Steph

Champion clearie shooters:

champion clearies reverse.jpgchampion clearies.jpg

Note the broad base seam but lack of central seam and oversized bag - the lack of seam doesn't indicate a fantasy bag with Champion. These were probably date from the early 70's - but the headers were used for many years. 

I picked up a couple of these bags and didn't feel too guilty about carefully opening one:

champion shooters.jpg

attractive bubbles and bright colours.

They're all worth a closer look under UV though...

From green a little UV starts to show wisps:

green champion.jpg

bringing it closer:

uv.jpg

Yes the same marble. The purple one has a less noticeable change, but it's still very visible. The blue remains exactly as it appears under normal light.

• Wow 1

I've been trying to save the name "shooter" for the 3/4" marbles and say "boulder" for larger marbles.   

But mainly I wanted to make sure that you were talking about the 3/4" range because if you were talking about an inch then that was going to mess with my head, since I don't associate the name Champion with larger marbles.  

1 hour ago, Steph said:

I've been trying to save the name "shooter" for the 3/4" marbles and say "boulder" for larger marbles.   

But mainly I wanted to make sure that you were talking about the 3/4" range because if you were talking about an inch then that was going to mess with my head, since I don't associate the name Champion with larger marbles.  

Four in the pack are 3/4", with the one larger... I'll measure tonight when I get home, but you can judge the size of the larger blue one compared to the 3/4" red one if it doesn't mess with your head ;)

1 hour ago, ManofKent said:

Four in the pack are 3/4", with the one larger... I'll measure tonight when I get home, but you can judge the size of the larger blue one compared to the 3/4" red one if it doesn't mess with your head ;)

Does 5/6th for the larger one surprise you, or was that within the expected range?

5/6?  

I don't know.  I just know that when we see swirls which are larger than 3/4", the ID's guessed are almost always Alley, Jabo or Vacor.  Larger is surprising to me for a Champion.  Every now and then I ask what the latest info is on the size range we know about from the different makers but just knowing the max doesn't tell how often the max is reached.  

Just now checked in American Machine-Made Marbles and see that I shouldn't be so shocked at larger transparent marbles -- but larger non-transparents might still have the capacity to blow my wee mind. :D 

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been told this is a type of furnace by most I've shown it to. I agree the colors are very much like the champion furnaces, and I can't imagine what else it might be, so Champ it must be I suppose. It's one of my most beautiful marbles, if not the most. I've seen one CAC with colors very much like this on black base glass, so there's a chance this doesn't belong here I suppose.

DSCN5754.jpg
DSCN5753.jpg
DSCN5752.jpg
DSCN5751.jpg
DSCN5749.jpg
DSCN5748.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 1/7/2018 at 11:45 PM, cheese said:

I've been told this is a type of furnace by most I've shown it to. I agree the colors are very much like the champion furnaces, and I can't imagine what else it might be, so Champ it must be I suppose. It's one of my most beautiful marbles, if not the most. I've seen one CAC with colors very much like this on black base glass, so there's a chance this doesn't belong here I suppose.

DSCN5754.jpg
DSCN5753.jpg
DSCN5752.jpg
DSCN5751.jpg
DSCN5749.jpg
DSCN5748.jpg

I’ve got one like this. It’s a 9/16 . I love mine as well.  Curious, What is the size on yours?

Mine is right at 5/8". I don't think that one is champion. At the time I posted it here someone had convinced me it was a furnace but it's not. Crystal clear base glass and all the colors. After some other finds that are persuading, I have that marble with my Ravenswoods now. Still not 100% sure.

• 8 months later...