Steph

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the nice bumps.

I did a newspaper search to try to find a date for the Weather Bird promotions but haven't yet.

Here is something I just located about the weatherbird box and logo. Makes me wonder just how old those rainbos are.

"The Peter’s Shoes Company, with headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, used the Weather Bird logo from 1907 to 1932. The company issued a wide range of promotional items ranging from comic books to postcards to whistles.

Researching this question brought back a flood of childhood memories. My mother favored Buster Brown shoes, manufactured by the Brown Shoe Company who licensed the use of Richard Outcault’s Buster Brown cartoon character in 1904. Before a sale was concluded, children were asked to step up to the shoe-fitting fluoroscope machine which produced an x-ray image of your feet showing how your feet fit within the shoes. The fluoroscope was a sales gimmick. The fit of a shoe depends on flesh size, something the machine could not measure nor demonstrate. Once a sale was concluded, it was premium time. Encountering a Buster Brown shoe premium in my travels always brings a smile to my face.

According to one source, The Peltier Marble Company made the Weather Bird, rainbow marble premium. Another source indicated the boxes contained Akro corkscrew marbles. It is possible Weather Bird Shoes contracted with more than one company. Equally probable is that a dealer switched the marble type to create a rarity that never existed historically."

Taken from this site: http://www.harryrinker.com/col-1359.html

I forgot to post the 1938 article I found a little while ago. When you posted the box on FB, I knew the 1932 seemed too restrictive. Or are these later versions of the logo not as close to the one on the box as I think?

Here's a 1938 ad which mentions marbles and has a little birdie.

post-279-0-75243200-1425969847_thumb.jpg

And here's a similar-looking bird from 1955. A bit different.

post-279-0-22222400-1425969935_thumb.jpg