Mostly Pix - Akro

Steph

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely need more vaseline. 

And am Akro Superman.  Believe it or not, I don't have one yet.

Superman and vaseline corks and slags.  Need to go put those on my list while I'm thinking of it. (I just started making a list of lists. ;)  And I need to add some marbles to it.) 

The dark blue Onyx really struck me because of the perfectly smooth glass, no bubbles, no striations, I love the way it looks.

The green Onyx was listed as a Perfection when I purchased it, I have yet to research that and find out what exactly it is. The seller is absolutely solid and has an amazing Akro collection herself. 

Someday I might be as cool as she. ;) 

Dk Blue Onyx R.jpg

Green Onyx R.jpg

2 hours ago, disco005 said:

This one is a mix.

It has an internal yellow (tornado) corkscrew which is most visible in the second photo, and a white split snake along the surface. On a Rootbeer color base.

That is fancy! Great photography too.

I finally got another box to post. 

Just got this one. It had 3 vitros in it I assume to replace some that got lost. I found out which color combos were missing and replaced them with mint examples from my collection but marked them with a dot. Some of the corners have tape :( but the price was good and it makes my 3rd Akro 100 count box!  The paper on the side with text on it was in the box and I just left it. It is a 1941 title application for the state of Illinois. Someone wrote "100 marbles" on the top left corner and "Wards 1946 Xmas" in the other top corner.  I'm pleased with it and thought I'd share.

DSCN2179.jpg
DSCN2180.jpg
DSCN2181.jpg
DSCN2183.jpg
DSCN2182.jpg
DSCN2187.jpg
DSCN2184.jpg
DSCN2185.jpg
DSCN2186.jpg

12 minutes ago, cheese said:

I finally got another box to post. 

Just got this one. It had 3 vitros in it I assume to replace some that got lost. I found out which color combos were missing and replaced them with mint examples from my collection but marked them with a dot. Some of the corners have tape :( but the price was good and it makes my 3rd Akro 100 count box!  The paper on the side with text on it was in the box and I just left it. It is a 1941 title application for the state of Illinois. Someone wrote "100 marbles" on the top left corner and "Wards 1946 Xmas" in the other top corner.  I'm pleased with it and thought I'd share.

I'd be pleased with it too :)

Beautiful.  And the dates make it even better.  I wouldn't have guessed quite so late, and yet I'm not surprised.  

I'm a little sad picturing Ward keeping all those marble in the box and not playing with them.  

I guess he had plenty of others to play with. :)

8 hours ago, Steph said:

Beautiful.  And the dates make it even better.  I wouldn't have guessed quite so late, and yet I'm not surprised.  

I'm a little sad picturing Ward keeping all those marble in the box and not playing with them.  

I guess he had plenty of others to play with. :)

I wondered if it was the Boy's name who owned them or if it was related to Montgomery Wards.  I never looked at the back until now and I see a Montgomery Wards price sticker on it!  Cool!  That explains the name on the front.

DSCN2188.jpg
DSCN2189.jpg

Orange orange orange.  Funny word when you look at it for long, orange. Sometimes I think Akro pretty much owns orange in mibs (there are others, sure, but Akro orange is, well, orange sometimes). Isn't it? I've had several placeholders of this type of cork for some time, but always wanted something minty fresh, then this one came along.  Outside, in the sun, with a loop....wow!

(Edit... a bit out of focus...I might reshoot and replace tomorrow)

orangecorkRaw copy.jpg

That streak is hard to describe...a bit blue and a bit green depending on lighting and where in the dark ribbon it is. That feature is a bit more prominent 'in hand' than the photograph.  I'm going to try another shot of this today to see if I can capture it.