Mostly Pix - Akro

Steph

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comment Richard!  Here is another one, that took up most of my afternoon...which ain't nothing to give up when it comes to marbles.  In hand the marble appears mostly opaque, but back lit, is another different thing entirely.  I've struggled to figure out a way to image this properly, especially back lit, which usually does a poor job of surface features but is critical for a peak inside.  This has been one of many favorite Akros for some time, and now I think these photos do an adequate job in communicating the features of this mib. For the sake of pure entertainment and obscurantist marble trivia, I'd call this a orange based, black ghost ribbon snake (cork).  What else would it be?  John

OrangeSnakeRaw copy.jpg

OrangeSnakeRaw copy 2.jpg

On July 8, 2016 at 3:33 PM, ann said:

Sounds good to me.  But then you know me.

I do. :) The pressure was on!  Glad the name passed muster....be sure to include it on your forthcoming monograph on snakes, augers and onyx Akro marbles.  I want a signed copy!  (full disclosure, this references a long ago thread between myself and Ann on these forms)  John

OrangeSnakeRaw copy 2.jpg

A lavender and yellow cork...or, a kind of lavender anyway.  I recently made the happy mistake of going to wiki to see an example of lavender.  Wow, did I get some examples, and a good analysis and history of the color.  Many kinds of lavender apparently. Different lavenders moving from dark to light, purple to almost brown/gray, light purple blues and all sorts of cool names and everything. Apparently this one has a variety of lavenders in the ribbon: lavender blush, lavender gray is there, and maybe others, and my personal favorite match, languid lavender. (!) I guess I'll call this my languid corkscrew from now on. John 

AkroLavenderRaw copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I lost my hard drive the other day to basic aging issues--crammed as it was with thousands of marble pictures and the detritus of work.  Lost a fair amount of photos not yet cropped, although much of my edited mib files were backed up more recently. Still, I lost fair amount.  I'm trying to see this philosophically:  So now I have another another chance to get better images, improve on lighting, and relearn and re-experience marbles. Good thing marbles are physical media is all I can say; there they sit, ready for another round.  I don't mind either, or I'm trying to convince myself so, and but it wouldn't much matter if I did anyway...lost is lost.  So today a new reshoot of this oxblood cork I hadn't shared previously. john

OxCork copy.jpg

I still have a hole in my life from the time that I destroyed my back-up disk with my S & T folders on it -- from ten years ago -- when I had to back-up on multiple DVD's.   I'm sure I have most of whatever was lost.  But I still wonder.  

I'm stalling trying to think of a good adjective for that.  So far the best adjective I can think of is "indescribable".  VERY interesting.

That minty blue snake/spiral Cheese posted above Richard's post is interesting, I like those...you've found one more than I have... that waxiness of the ribbons in this color combination is distinctive.  Just worked on these photos of this orange vaseline moss agate goodness. John

0126raw copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...