Mostly Pix - Akro

Steph

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I know, not colorful.  I don't care...I'm crazy about browns, and hues of brown and tan; colors of mud and dirt and wood.  This beautiful mahogany cork with blended brown and grey is some kind of Everest for me, when it comes to corks.  Tiny fleas throughout sure...but hey, at least I have a placeholder! I might never find another. Keep me in mind when you want to get rid of those lousy dark brown corks.  I'll give them a good home!  john

WoodchuckRaw copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice one up there Jessica, and worthy of it's condition. That mahogany one has lots of dimply wear too, but I'll take the only one I've found so far for sure.  Both are nice oddball Akros. I haven't found one of those green on blue yet...another gets added to the list!  That 'specular' light on the photos is nice too.  It gives a better sense of roundness to the image--as you know, 'flattening' is a significant challenge for marble photography. John

^_^ I know exactly what you mean, I love working on lighting John :)   Now, .... if I could just get a real camera (and a tripod I suppose, and an extra battery). Maybe that will be on the list for today ....

I don't think I've shared these two before, they were purchased probably five years apart, but look pretty similar.

I like how the orange looks to be just sitting on top, it's almost like this orange didn't mix well with the base. Kind of hard to capture in a photograph.

Orange on White.jpg

On September 5, 2016 at 7:55 AM, disco005 said:

^_^ I know exactly what you mean, I love working on lighting John :)   Now, .... if I could just get a real camera (and a tripod I suppose, and an extra battery). Maybe that will be on the list for today ....

I don't think I've shared these two before, they were purchased probably five years apart, but look pretty similar.

I like how the orange looks to be just sitting on top, it's almost like this orange didn't mix well with the base. Kind of hard to capture in a photograph.

Orange on White.jpg

Taming the speed of light within inches of itself is a real challenge and fun if you let it be.  I wouldn't sweat the camera either...I think we think that a fancy camera is needed to achieve better than average results.  It's not like a Stradivarius violin would make anyone a great violinist. But a great violinist can make a piece of junk sound great. This camera thing goes the same way I think.  I just ordered another battery too... when I have time to photograph, I don't want to stop and re-charge.  That will help! 

I've found about three of these too...mine are very similar if not the same as yours...kind of a peach or salmon color, and somewhat botchy as well. I don't think I've photographed it yet.  I really appreciate that you don't ignore the white based corks....there's lots of diversity in these if one stops to take a closer look. Look for a Joby desktop tripod...only about six inches tall but perfect for this; it won't break the bank, and you'll have more cash for mibs down the road...[Edit:Did I mean to say blotchy, or botchy?  I don't know! A happy accident I guess).

Botchy. That is an excellent descriptive for these corks.

I need a camera now only because the last update on my phone made it incompatible with my computer, it used to be an easy transfer from my phone camera to my computer, but now the computer doesn't "see" the photographs I've taken. Weird. But you are very correct, I wasn't thinking of a high priced camera, just something in the $100 range that possibly  has a macro option, that would be great. If not, I can make do. The extra battery is a must! I used to take my photos with a digital camera, and when you're in that mode, and have the lighting just right, delays are very aggravating.

That's awesome that you have three of these, they are unusual.

That mulberry is very sweet. I don't have any of those 'bricks' (oddly and unfortunately named), and that one up there is a real looker. I'll wait have to wait for my turn for any one of those.  Can't for the life of me figure out why those didn't hit the market.  The high flying 20's up to the depression, sure had its excesses...these, a textbook example.