Mostly Pix - Akro

Steph

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 8:19 PM, J_Ding said:

I like these simple, bisected ribbon corks. A little Ace-like opalescence too. 

1908raw copy.jpg

Hey cool! I like them too John :) here are two like yours with opposite winding corks though, go figure.....

Have you back lit yours?

SIMILAR Aces.jpg

50 minutes ago, disco005 said:

Hey cool! I like them too John :) here are two like yours with opposite winding corks though, go figure.....

Have you back lit yours?

Crazy!  I don't think that I have yet for this example...I'll have to dig it out and check...but I'd bet that it does.  Crazy how those two match.  Have you found these types in other colors?

7 hours ago, disco005 said:

I'm going to have to dig them all out this weekend and go through them again. Man, I can't stand doing that.<_<:lol::lol::lol:

That's a straight out chore! I feel responsible for wasting your time. Listen, save yourself the trouble--- you can send them all to me, and then I'll take that bitter pill and go through them all and tell you and everyone what I find.  I'd be happy to help!  :lol:

I try to give all the marbles I keep a closer look from time to time.  I know the one below is the most common Popeye, but they all have their subtle individuality, even in the red and yellow.  This one, with just a window of transparent glass, solid opaque white and only a bit of the wispy white is, I think, plenty interesting in its own right. 

0427raw copy.jpg

Nice.  I hope I'll remember this example for when people try to say something isn't a popeye because it doesn't fit the collector's definition -- even though Akro made it in a Tri-Onyx Agate run.  

What kind of note can I make to myself to bookmark this? ;) 

21 hours ago, jeeperman said:

Yep, I would agree, plus you just never know what you might see that escaped you the first 20 looks. At least that's how it goes in my world. =} Nice popeye.

Good point...sometimes it seems much more than 20!  I can't tell you how many times I study a 'set aside but study again' marble and think, how'd I miss that previously?

20 hours ago, Steph said:

Nice.  I hope I'll remember this example for when people try to say something isn't a popeye because it doesn't fit the collector's definition -- even though Akro made it in a Tri-Onyx Agate run.  

I agree Steph.  I'd prefer a world that called them as they were called too.  So much more dignified.  Oh well, so it goes. Next one I post I'll use both names.  Maybe it will catch on down the road, but doubtful.

It's not so much me disagreeing with what folks call it -- it's just a quirk with collector's definitions.

Some marbles could be considered Popeyes which were never part of a tri-onyx run ... but marbles which were part of a tri-onxy run and were sold in Popeye boxes could be rules out as popeyes because they don't have enough clear or don't have enough filamented white.  

The technical details of the collectors' definition make some real tri-onyx's somehow not good enough to be Popeyes.   But in theory some other marbles could slide into the category even though they weren't originally in a tri-onxy run.  

So I'm really commenting on how names can drift away from the original versions so much the original marbles in that class don't qualify any more.   

It'd be like if someone went up to Chuck B. and tried to argue that their definition for Vitro Superiors was better than his and that what he was calling Superiors weren't really.  When he and Diane are the ones who coined the name. 

Hmm, hey Steph, sorry if you thought I was trying to say you didn't like the name. I knew what you meant...just added my thinking. I'm really I'm ok with it. I have to be, this isn't going to change and doesn't even have to. In truth, I just like the sound of calling them what Akro called them.