Mostly Pix - Akro

Steph

And BTW, those two boxes are insane, Cheese --

If you really look at each row, there are some interesting variants! I'm really liking what looks like a brown cork on white . . .

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

And BTW, those two boxes are insane, Cheese --

If you really look at each row, there are some interesting variants! I'm really liking what looks like a brown cork on white . . .

Thanks! Those have brownish hues, some black, and some purple here and there. They are cool. Notice the boxes say "prize names" but some are just one color corks? That makes me wonder about the company use of the name. Something else that these boxes prove is that they didn't count the blends as 3 color specials, or if they did, they wouldn't have put them here in the cheaper prize name boxes.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Akro Unique Agates box set

gallery_279_50_14220.jpg

http://morphyauctions.hibid.com/lot/20887891/akro-agate-no--00-unique-agates-box-set-

Clearly those are Royals, but I'm pretty sure they would also have been sold in a box like this. I need to pull out the information George Sourlis has sent me on Heroes and Uniques.

Heroes and Uniques were more like multicolor stiated patches, right? Weren't they the collector's "bird" series . . . Grebe, Peackock, etc?

That is what the texts said when I first started collecting.

But I think that information is dated. Possibly based on limited boxes being available at the time.

Sort of like how (I presume) it was lack of many boxes and ads being available at the time which allowed the name "Special" to get stuck to three-color corks.

Part of the info I'll be trying to gather together from George will be his conclusions about Hero and Unique being later names for Royals and some other patch. I should have gone to find it before I posted, but I often do things backward. Make the post and then it gives me the incentive to hunt for the extra info.

Now you've got me wondering about the birds. When where they made? In the texts from back when, I seem to recall Heroes and Uniques being thought of as "early". But I tend to agree with George about them being later. Some evidence for them being later is the names showing up in a later Master advertisement ... which I will now scan.

I think Unique is now supposed by some reliable people to be a later name for Tri-Color Agates.

This is from AMMM. I don't see a date but I think it's from the 1950's. Maybe I can nail that down later. But it's evidence for Heroes and Uniques being later names. And that brings me back to the mystery of when the birds sometimes found in those boxes were made.

gallery_279_61_156214.jpg