Mostly Pix - Akro

Steph

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I think so. My understanding is that it's a "snake" on colored glass that has an internal, auger-like snake partly down the axis of the poles, and whirls out. This only runs on the outside, the middle picture captures that back of the ribbon traveling behind.

• 4 weeks later...

Sufficiently odd enough to post here, I think. Orange on red...not technically, in my thinking an onyx (transparent base, white or cream ribbons) or a snake (clear base with colored ribbons). I think it a orange snake/onyx. I've only found one of these. John

post-3757-0-22032300-1450887706_thumb.jp

post-3757-0-31169700-1450887712_thumb.jp

post-3757-0-56179600-1450887713_thumb.jp

post-3757-0-81557500-1450887714_thumb.jp

I've only found one of these. John

Me too. Although I think my orange is a little duller than yours.

I think of it as a colored snake in transparent colored glass. I don't have very many of them . . .

Me too. Although I think my orange is a little duller than yours.

I think of it as a colored snake in transparent colored glass. I don't have very many of them . . .

You know, I think the feel of the glass in the ribbon is less classically onyx-like, which seems to me smoother, less translucent, and more massive feeling usually. Usually. I think this is the correct interpretation. I'll have to check the rest of the collection to see if I have another. Other colored snakes out there? Would love to see them! John

It's very pretty. :) Another which makes me wonder what its Akro name was, and then I say to myself, "shhh, just enjoy it."

Went on a random marble ramble. This box from Morphy is a looker. From the Les Jones collection.

gallery_279_50_8433.jpg

More pix: http://morphyauctions.hibid.com/lot/22551603/rare-akro-agate-complete-sample-box-set-/

I actually have a bunch of Kodak pics of marbles from his collection. :)

Gonna start a separate thread JUST for Akro Tri-Color Agates.

Here's what I'm starting it with. I once had a folder full of Tri-Color Agate box photos and I damaged the back-up disk and lost 'em all.

I do have more boxes than this to show. This pic came from George and I have more than just this one from him. But I gotta gather 'em together.

George_001_25pct_zpsgsj4uww8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

You know, I think the feel of the glass in the ribbon is less classically onyx-like, which seems to me smoother, less translucent, and more massive feeling usually. Usually. I think this is the correct interpretation. I'll have to check the rest of the collection to see if I have another. Other colored snakes out there? Would love to see them! John

I really like these, but very difficult to find one in decent shape, still hunting!

Color snakes in a color transparent base.

post-78-0-58572600-1454011239_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I've been working on that slender snake on yellow/amber glass in the Nov 25 post above.  I really thought the pictures in that post got the snake part, but not the glass part at all, color and everything.  Too much light buzzing around in that image, and it didn't give much hint to the bubbles and color. Came up with this as a replacement. 0.60"  

0237-1.1.jpg