Mostly Pix - Akro

Steph

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got one that makes me dither --

I'm not comfortable calling it a snake because the cork is so fat.  I'm leaning towards calling it "just" a transparent-based corkscrew.  Of course I'm splitting hairs.  That's what I do.  What do you all think?

The transparent base color was what interested me, and sure enough it's very lightly tinted -- seems to be amber -- but I was surprised when, as a matter of course, I hit it with UV (like I do every newly-received marble) and the base lit up green like a son-of-a-gun.  Whee!

akro white cork 2.jpg

akro white cork.jpg

It isn't splitting hairs....it's important marble work!  I would think it would be close to the onyx group (and Cardinal Reds)...the white ribbons heavier, smoother, with finer demarcation between the transparent and opaque parts.  In terms of the glass, it behaves under UV just like a vaseline based Akro would.  I have this example, what I think is a 'brushed' cork that is one a base glass reminiscent of yours....but shines just like it were vaseline.  I also have a few grey, tea-like colored Pelts that behave in the same way...not expecting such a pronounced response under UV with them either.  This example of the brushed cork is a bit back-lit, and darker than it appears in hand, more like Ann's example above.

0286raw copy.jpg

Nice!

Kind of comforting to hear my hair-splitting is understood!

When I took out my onyxes last night, eureka, I had one very like the new one except the base color was clearly amber and not UV reactive.  The two looked lovely together.  So much so that I separated them out from the onyxes (my onyxes tend to have thinner corks with multiple wraps).

A sub-category of onyxes.  You understand, right?  :confused-smileys-17:

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my favorites, an orange cork on a smoky mossy bubbly base.

I think there is a separate reddish ribbon laying over the top of a sunken light orange snake. It's most apparent in the third photo where the top red deviates from the orange.

Smokey Orange R.jpg