Mostly Pix - Heaton

Steph

Thanks for the detailed shots.  Again you show why I so often think "Heaton or Cairo" in an ID and am not able to try to narrow it down.  I think probably there were more Heatons in circulation (can anyone confirm?) ... so odds might Heaton a lean in ID's.  

It's neat to see the trans, and the trans blue is very pretty. 

4 hours ago, Steph said:

Thanks for the detailed shots.  Again you show why I so often think "Heaton or Cairo" in an ID and am not able to try to narrow it down.  I think probably there were more Heatons in circulation (can anyone confirm?) ... so odds might Heaton a lean in ID's.  

It's neat to see the trans, and the trans blue is very pretty. 

I'm trying to get hold of a few dug Cairo (much harder to find) to if not nail the differences, at least have a better idea... I'm pretty sure Heaton were significantly more prolific.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

A piece of Heaton cullet. I think the white came from Vitrolite.  (Posted in another thread today, so I figured I'd add it here.)

2533c7b5ed0705b5495795c3b053760c.jpg

Blacklight!  ... this picture came out pretty well.  Gotta remember which settings I used. :thup:  

833580b281da3dc75844d34191d9b250.jpg

• Wow 1

• 4 months later...

So I was digging through some Heatons to find an example that I'm sure I have but who knows where, and pulled some out to take a photo of a prominent feature I call the Heaton Ear. Sharing the photo here... most of these are dug from the factory site with a few exceptions that I added. Other makers can have the same pattern and not all Heatons have this pattern but it's another tool in the bag. If you see this pattern and the glass is right, good chance it's a Heaton.

Side note: I fixed the broken photobucket links of mine in previous posts that messed up this thread.

DSCN5217.jpg

Useful id tip - they can be sods to separate from Ravenswoods and Champions (not to mention some Cairo) for those of us who really struggle with swirls. 'Folded up' is how I tend to think of SOME examples, but the 'ear' image makes it even clearer.