Contemps

carole154

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh John...................................... We might never see you again!!! LOL

Kevin's gotta have the toughest marbles to photograph in the world!!!

If you can make them look as good as the ones from Raz, you've got a natural talent to die for!!

ROFL Bump away!!!

Lou & I have just been discussing board "space".... It's been the cause of old threads having to be deleted... He's put a limit on picture upload size.... I'll ask him what it is and post a thread on it.....

Good Luck!!! If you get 'em "down" I'll send you mine to take pictures of!!! ROFL ;)

Awesome, John!!! :D

(Hey, Kevin's even lookin' in!!! ;) )

Carole, I really like that marble in front of that color as a setting... But, if your just going for the marble picture, I've found that a more neutral color works better.

It's tough to pick out which color works best though.... White tends to wash out, black tends to absorb... So, somewhere in between, I guess...

Each marble seems to have it's own best background... Raz' worked better with light, this Nail goes better with dark....

In displaying at antiques shows, I was told that navy or burgundy show glass best as tableclothes...

Now, when I take pictures, I use a rose colored fabric from those tableclothes as a backdrop for my auctions. But, sometimes the red base is over powering and I have to change it....

In general, it works well for auctions, cuz the red catches the viewers attention in the gallery!! ;)

But, if I use it for marbles, one way or another, either through the glass, or in reflection, the red creeps into the marble... So, I've gone back to neutral for those.

That's what I'm trying to figure out Sue. I can't artificially put a background with my program so I'm having to use fabric. Someone else advised me to try the darker background. I'm confused now, lol. Anyone else want to offer me some help with this? Any help will be appreciated.

carole

That's what I'm trying to figure out Sue. I can't artificially put a background with my program so I'm having to use fabric. Someone else advised me to try the darker background. I'm confused now, lol. Anyone else want to offer me some help with this? Any help will be appreciated.

carole

I'm the someone else. LOL

Sue, I was looking at Carole's pix here, Show Your Atmospheres, as an example of something which "worked" with her particular camera, in her particular lighting setup. I want her to be able to show off mibs like her "interesting little pelt" to their best advantage.

So, that's why she used the darker cloth, and it happened to be purple.

Carole, it sounds to me like Sue agrees that the pix are getting good!

And dark seems to be the right idea. AND purple worked well here, but if you take a picture of your new cubscout shooter, dark gray will probably go better with the colors than purple. For example.

Do I have this right, guys?! :)

LOL

Yeah, it would be so easy if we could just use the same thing for everything!!!

I've gotten into cropping my marble pics with "Picture It." I have no idea where this program came from... As far as I know it was programmed into the computer when we got it... But, I use it a LOT!!!

So, here's an example of what I mean.... This looks great.... But, are you getting a true visual of the marble?

post-3-1190580194_thumb.jpg

It still looks great when it's cropped.... But, you just KNOW someone is gonna ask

"Is that purple really in there??"

post-3-1190580261_thumb.jpg

Sometimes, I've used a white background that looked totally washed out before cropping... But after, it looked fine!! (Sometimes it needs to be darkened or contrasted a bit) Of course, opaque marbles make it a lot easier!!! LOL

The worst case is when you take one with a colored background and it looks SO good, you just WISH that color was really there!!! :blink:

Glass addiction is a good place to start. There are a huge number of artists not on GA though. It sort of depends whose work you prefer and want to collect. A good number of contemporary artists sell on Ebay as well. Personal preference in contemporaries vary widely - as do costs.

Is glass addiction the same as "the melting pot". Their subtitle says "where all glass addicts melt together". Have I found the place? :)

http://www.thegldg.com/forum/index.php

Okay ... I think I've answered my own question. ... no, not the same.

Glass Addiction

Edited by modularforms