Brown Can Be Beautiful

I've been wondering about brown in marbles.

Don't often see it. Is it because it isn't often there? or it's overlooked? When I think brown I mostly think of all-reds, bumblebees, and a few WV swirls.

Do you have any favorite browns? Any theories about how much it appears in comparison with other colors.

Thanks!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest browse4antiques

Here are a few handmades that have brown glass. It's a little more common in Joseph Coats, but not often seen in clear swirls. ... Roger

post-112-1215453885_thumb.jpgpost-112-1215453910_thumb.jpg

post-112-1215453920_thumb.jpg

I agree, you do not see it very often. Here is a one inch MK tri-color with some brown in with the red on one end.

There is aventurine in the green also on this one. Enjoy!!

post-315-1215450095_thumb.jpg post-315-1215450085_thumb.jpg post-315-1215450069_thumb.jpg

That's a mind-blowing piece of glass! Bob

Hey, everyone!

Just noticed that replying to a message with pictures reprints them all again, which in most cases is probably excessive. I'll figure out how to do it better for future replies.

Attaching two types of marbles for the "brown collection". One I call "Hershey's and banana" (you can probably guess which one) and I don't remember how these were described. I think I looked them up and they weren't particularly desireable from a serious collector's perspective, but I bought them from someone who had hand-picked these as particularly nice examples and I think they're pretty spectacular. The other is a Pelt patch with a nice coffee and cream (thoroughly mixed) primary color, which I thought was sorta special. Just realized that I sized the pictures as if I was sending one at a time, so I guess I'll have to do that. Here's the Peltier. Bob

post-279-1221774541_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of mine with brown. First is a cats eye with a yellow banana and brown/red fingers. Next, a marble king PNR with brown and a Peltier with brown shades. After that, a group of as yet unidentified marbles, some with brown and some with black, plus the red & blue.

post-279-1222361377_thumb.jpg post-279-1222361382_thumb.jpg post-279-1222361388_thumb.jpg

Wow. There're just too many spectacular browns; I couldn't possibly send a "Nice! etc." for all of them. So I'll just say thanks to everyone for posting, and a special thanks to steph for bringing up the whole thing in the first place! (Maybe she'd accept being nominated to come up with a new color each month!) Salud, Bob

Yes, thanks ... again ... to everyone!

I'm quite surprised at the diversity. and the interest. I guess I shouldn't be, because brown is beautiful! but I didn't know what to expect.

LOL @ Bob. I nominate you to pick the next color. I don't trust myself to pick a winner twice in a row! B)

Hey, marboman!

I was surprised at how much oohing and ahhing I did for all the "brown" posts. Yours also grab my personal interest for unusual and really terrific variations of green. (The ones with red patches look like 'other-worldly' pimento olives.) Really nice! Bob

I just realized that my new Jabo shooter can fit into the 'brown' category.

Can we reach three pages of brown marbles before the end of July?

Will Bob then be able to humbly suggest a new "color of the month" without being ridiculed into hiding?

And will he ever get over the guilt of (unsuccessfully) trying to pin this job on someone else who's a very nice human being?

Tune in!

post-279-1221876747_thumb.jpg