Vitro Agate , Marbles And A Little History

sissydear

What I'm wondering about right now in connection with Vienna is, what's Parmico?

Is that another name for Vienna?

AMMM calls 1932 - 1945 the "Vienna/Parmico era". I think I'd better read the Vitro section from start to finish before I say anything else.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Edna, you are gonna win an award for best in show with this Vitro thread!

Here are a few of mine but I need time to get my others together.

And then here is a big group shot I took of Willie's. (Last Picture)

Talk about a top shelf collection of Vitro's. He's got 'em.

post-279-1222196952_thumb.jpg

post-279-1222196958_thumb.jpg

post-279-1222196962_thumb.jpg

post-279-1222196815_thumb.jpg

Great thread. I am not sure where to start. The very first picture and box,the second row looks like the Vitro Lilacs,i thought they were made in Parkersburg not long before the move west. Maybe both locations? The game marbles were made at Vienna and Parkersburg. The mailing address was probably Parkersburg when they were in Vienna because it would have been a much larger and faster post office. They did get some mail at Vienna,but most probably went through the Parkersburg office. It would have been about three mile to the main Parkersburg post office. The Vienna Vitro factory was at the south edge of the Vienna city limits,near the Vitrolite glass factory. Then it would have been farm land for 1-2 mile to the Parkersburg flood wall. Now this area is home to the mall,Lowes,Home Depot,WalMart,Sams,etc. Probably the busiest area of Parkersburg/Vienna. I don't know of Vitro making intentional pee wee cat eyes. The Parkersburg plant was located along the Kanawha river about one mile before it enters the Ohio river. Closer to the south side of Parkersburg,not far from the city park.

This could be a long thread.

Jill, I especially like the ones with "V" s. Do you have a few opals in that second pic? they are the right colors anyway. Thanks for sharing. Edna

Hi Edna, I don't really know what opals are, you would have to share some more of your knowledge with me again; and I will check them out. I'm glad you like them. I really like those blue and brown ones I see in your pics, some are in the; I think 4th box down...What are those called?

Gladding-Vitro also marketed in Canada. If they didn't make All Reds themselves, they must have had supply of them from before. Couple pics below.

Also, regarding peewees, I haven't seen packaging of any peewee size 'regular' marbles from any of the Vitro companies. The Exotic Gem type from both Vitro and G-V were 9/16 at the smallest. EXCEPT I do have one bag by G-V of 100 Peewees - 3/8 size - even says on the bag. Pic below.

Regarding the 'lilacs' (named by Don Miller?) in the 2nd row of Edna's first pic, here are pics of two bags that have the lilacs in the bag - one mised with All Reds and the other is all lilacs.

Then, regarding Blackies (I use 'regarding' a lot...), the odd ones are the one we see in the bag pictured below but really don't see many ID'd as such out of the bag. Almost look like odd MK's.

Last, just for info, here is a picture of a bag of VITROK - decorator marbles - hiliters.

post-60-1217453168_thumb.jpg

post-60-1217453182_thumb.jpg

post-60-1217453198_thumb.jpg

post-60-1217453225_thumb.jpg

post-60-1217453244_thumb.jpg

post-60-1217453266_thumb.jpg

post-60-1217453279_thumb.jpg