Vitro Agate , Marbles And A Little History

sissydear

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vitro book says the Parrots and Parakeets are "related to the Tiger-Eye line". :-)

m!b$, by 'on a veneered base', do you mean on clear base? Tiger Eyes aren't always on a clear base. I think they are always veneered though.

I apologize that some of the pairs of pics are rotated so that you are not getting the same marbles on the row.

Don't worry about that! !!!

Stand up right now and take a bow!

You are :cool sign:

Dave McCullough's JABO's are every bit as pretty as the vitro shooters. Dave is a master at formulating the glass for these. Without Dave, none of the JABO's could have been made, even the JOKERl's and Madyias and lutzes. It is Dave's genius that made this possible. He is truly a marble artist. His latest creations rival any machine made that could be named.

I got some of those latest creations in the mail today! straight from Dave! (*faint*)

I'll post them in a separate Jabo thread though and leave this one open for folks to add their traditional Vitros. :)

Yes, by "veneered", I mean clear or translucent base with color brushed on. I didn't think any opaque marbles could be Tiger Eyes.

So is that faulty information?

Are there any Vitros that aren't veneered, ie, have color or white inside the marble, other than Bullseyes and Phantom Conquerors? Are all the rest Tiger Eyes?

What they call Type IV Tiger Eyes are opaque.

There are also Tiger Eyes and Tiger Eye kin which are not in that list of four types.

For example the transparent whities are not in that list, but at least count as kin. And count as actual Tiger Eyes in some people's book.

Edna is the first person I remember grouping blackies with tiger eyes, but it does make sense. Of course they were sold under their own name, but the construction looks the same. . imho.

ah, you added another question while I was typing ... Vitros which aren't veneered? how about the tri-lites? Hope someone else can address your question more fully. I felt up to the challenge when it was only about opaque Tiger Eyes. :-) About the rest of the Vitro possibilities ... well ...

Here's a marble I just bought. The seller says it's a Vitro Popeye Patch, and when I had it in hand, I discovered that it's opalescent too.

I've noticed several listings on eBay for similar Vitros, though I don't recall ever seeing any like them until recently.

You got a good deal, by the way. LOL My first one cost me $.50. That little bitty decimal point doesn't show up very well. I paid 50 cents for the first beach ball. Didn't know what it was. I kept it because the blue patch has the shape of Texas. Edna

Red Dog, I wasn't sure what to say on yours when you posted them. Love the giant whities! Those are rad! The other bag looks like it might contain MK's though.

I'm guessing that "New Vienna, OH" is the address of the toy company who distributed the set. Or maybe specifically the company who made the jacks. Whoever packaged the marbles seems to have bought them from the company who made them.

The Vienna of the early Vitros was Vienna, WV.

But to complicate matters .... the early packaging didn't say Vienna on it. A place name wasn't always given, but when it was, the name said Parkersburg. even tho the marbles were made in Vienna. :wacko:

Part of what made the Vienna Vitros such a mystery to modern collectors until relatively recently.

edit: googling is fun. icon6.gif

http://www.wellsmfgco.com/

"American Made Fun Since 1945"