I Need An Id Book Or Two, What Do You Recommend?

diggerjames

Hi all, :Happy_457:

I have been reading the posts here for a couple of weeks now and I've learned so much more than I already knew (thank you Sissydear for the vitro thread, it's amazing). I was wondering if anyone would like to recommend their favorite marble ID book. There are so many out there and I just dont know which to choose. Also, does anyone know when there will be a marble show coming to the Maine area? I missed the one we had in Portland a while back. -James

Hi James!! I think, of all the books I own (and that's most of 'em) I probably use Marble Mania the most for ID.

It's easy to use, the pictures are great and it covers every area of marbles... It may be a bit more $$ than others, but if your just gonna get one book, it's the best bang for the buck.

Second, would probably be Everett Grist's Big Book of Marbles.

Thanks for the suggestions. I went to my nearby bookstore the next day. They didnt have Marble Mania but they had Everett Grist's Big Book of Marbles. Being very impatient and not wanting to wait for a copy of Marble Mania to arrive at the store, I bought the other and have already read every word in the book. I still plan to purchase Marble Mania though.

Great book, thanks. -James

The book mentioned by Galen is very good, the best one on history of the companies. There are lots of others if you can afford several. There is a paperback on catseyes, can't locate mine at the moment to give you the name. Paul Baumann has one called Collecting Antique Marbles. Another I like is Collecting Early Machine-made Marbles, The M. F. Christensen & Son Company and Christensen Agate Company by Block.

Just depends on what you want to collect or what you want to learn. Edna

I want to learn all that I can. To me marbles are still a mystery; what causes particular marks, the melding of different colors, how people can tell one swirl from another and SO much much more. All of this I want to soak up. So when I say 1 or 2 books, I guess thats really just the start of it. I'd love to put all my marbles up here for all of you to ID for me, but then I'm not really learning anything. I think (for now), I will focus more on machine mades because that is the majority of what I find while digging. That and the fact that buying single marbles that I want is pretty much out of my league.

Thanks for all the suggestions!! -James