Jump to content

wvrons

Members
  • Content Count

    1,953
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

1 Follower

About wvrons

  • Rank
    Member

Previous Fields

  • Gender
    Male
  • Please type the following
    572

Profile Information

  • Location
    Near Ravenswood - Sandyville WV
  • Interests
    Marbles- Hunting - Fishing - Antiques - Enjoy retirement

Contact Methods

  • Yahoo
    wvrons@yahoo.com

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Alley or Ravenswood. Would need more views.
  2. Alley or Ravenswood ?
  3. 1 = Alley 2 = Probably Alley, would need to see more views of the same marble. 3 = Alley 4 = Patch of some kind. Need more views and closer. 5 = Alley
  4. Pictures are to far away from the marbles to know. A white background sometimes does not work well with a white base marble.
  5. Alley or Ravenswood. Both did very close similar color combos. Tough call but with the light tan color and the pattern twist and fold. I would say 55% chance Ravenswood and 45% chance of Alley. Of course L.E. Alley was the very first person to make a marble at Ravenswood.
  6. It is a Jabo. Three companies produced the majority of the C or S pattern. That C or S can be wide open, half open or closed together. The more it closes together on a Jabo, people call it the Jabo butt crack. The three companies were Cairo Novelty, Alley later St.Marys site, and Jabo. It is caused from a short length hot glass stream from the furnace to the shear. The stream hits the shear plate and folds over on itself. If the glass stream is longer, it twist as it falls. The longer the glass stream the more twist. The length can be to long and get cold, so there is a limit. The short stream is less problems. Your three marbles above, the far right clear base with purple and white is a Alley swirl from the St.Marys location. The C or S pattern will change during production. Depends on the glass stream temperature, a little cold and the hot glass stream will get larger diameter, which will make it more open. The glass stream is larger and stiffer, it will not fold together as well. If the stream is a little hot, it may get thinner and softer so it will fold over more easy, it will close up more. Many things can affect the size of the hot glass stream. A rush of cold air comes across the stream and it will cool the glass. Maybe one minute or ten minutes. Most of the marble machines are not totally enclosed. Usually big doors to be opened. The open doors help with heat and fumes. There is not near the control of what the hot glass does as most people think. With swirl type marbles it is impossible to keep the same exact swirl pattern for any good length of time. Maybe a wide open C for 10-20 minutes, then a half open C for 10-20 minutes, then a closed C for 10-20 minutes or a hour. This is for 250 a minute 24hrs. a day. There are always problems usually every hour or sometimes every ten minutes. Every problem will change the pattern on the final marble. The marbles pattern is made coming though and out of the furnace, then the fall to the shear, through the shear and onto the machine rolls. When the red hot glass glob hits into the roll groove, the pattern is 98% done. The machine rolls just make the marble round. The marbles pattern will not change at all after it passes across the first couple machine roll groves. The remainder of the machine rolls is to allow for cooling and hardening of the marble. The marbles still have to be cooled slow(anneal)for 8-16 hours, to prevent annealing fractures. Not all swirl makers made the C or S pattern. But you can find a few of this pattern in all swirl makes. Cairo, later Alleys and Jabo did the vast majority. Like Akro made the vast majority of corkscrews. But other companies had a few happen by mistake. I have a few perfect Jabo corkscrews also know as Jorkscrews.
  7. wvrons

    Help ID 50

    They look like different marble companies. I see different cut lines and style or type marbles. They are vintage. They have all been dug or in the ground for a good period of time. Some collectors call the silver looking and white surface, abalone. This metallic iridescent pearlized surface is a reaction with certain glass, being buried in dirt, moisture and time. It is also found on soda pop bottles and other glass that has been buried a long time.
  8. Those are Cairo Novelty.
  9. I think this marble the clear base with blue/white swirl would more likely be Cairo Novelty. Some of the main traits for Cairo Novelty are the seedy glass(bubbles)and a short length glass stream from the furnace to the shear. Which makes a C or U or S pattern, when closed tight sometimes called the butt crack. The second pictures shows the C. Cairo did large numbers of clear base, lots of bubbles, lesser quality glass. The colors on Cairo transparent marbles are usually thin not thick or solid. Alley marbles are a higher quality of glass and colors. The C - U - or S pattern can also be found on many Jabo and later Alley marbles made at the last Alley location at St.Marys WV. This marble is very typical of Cairo transparent swirls. Cairo did make opaque marbles, which can have better and more solid colors. The first marble is either Champion or possible Jabo. Because of the glass, the colors and the striping. It looks like a thin oxblood just under the surface. It looks to have a little more damage than I would expect on a newer Jabo. So I would place it with Champion. Both Champion and Jabo made this similar colored marbles. Dave McCullough was plant manager at different time frames at both Champion and Jabo.
  10. Not sure about the story ? Depends on what they are made of ? If clay, I would think they would not be heavy enough or take much pressure and punishment. The small one looks very out of round. Being out of round would not make ideal ammunition. The large one has the usual spots or small white circles seen on many clay or pottery marbles. The spots are where the marbles touched together while the glaze was being fired on. They look like normal clay or pottery marbles found in good numbers. Most plain(undecorated)clay and pottery marbles have little or no value. Because the big majority cannot be dated, or where made or by who. Also because they were made in large numbers by so many different people everywhere. I have never heard of raeren or Darren marbles. The major thing is what they are made of ? For ammunition they would need to be able to take pressure and punishment.
×
×
  • Create New...