sissydear

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work!

Three questions:

Do all Blue Tangos have goldstone?

Are any families not showing? I was about to start lumping some together which I thought seemed different. Then it dawned on me that some might still be in reserve, like if someone else is naming them.

What about #37?

There is one marble I didn't get any of. You might have that one. I can't even tell you which it might be. I lumped some families together because they were so similar. A lot of the blue based ones, first off the rollers, I did not bother with because I thought they were unremarkable. I'm not intentionally holding any more in reserve. I do have a family left that is one of those pearlized looking ones, very dark. I got very tired of looking at marbles and decided not to bother with it. It might be worth considering, but it's dark. After 3 weeks of staring at them, sorting and sorting and sorting - I quit. LOL

Oh my, how would you know there were any you didn't get?

I guess Windy's photos might be a clue!

I'm not sure I've found matches to everything she showed!

Not sure about the Flamenco yet either.

I still have some to sort.

I know because i was in charge of how to divide the marbles. One family got scooped up with too big a measure and only the big investors got some of them before they ran out. Steve didn't want that to happen. He specifically told me he wanted me to be sure everybody got some of everything. But it happened, and it was my fault. We would have had to scoop some out from 5 boxes and distribute a few to 14 more boxes. I decided to move forward, not redo what we had done. No harm done.

To know "which one" I'd have to compare my marbles with the 5 people who did get them. And if it was close to another family, I still might not know. I got so many marbles that i'll never miss those few.

Ahhh, I didn't have a marble # 37 to send. I believe that's The Strut. I think my share of that one was 7 marbles.

Some more I missed answering last night. Nearly every Blue Tango I have has goldstone. Isn't that cool?

Another thing, my brain was thinking about your ID set last night when I answered that I'm not holding anything back. We are holding back two marbles that are black, white, and red. I think I need to post pics of those for the benefit of the other team members who are not seeing those marbles posted. Some special plans are in the works for those. One of the black, red, and white marbles looks like flames. The other is a close family member in the same colors, but swirly.

Back to # 37. The blue aventurine in #37 reminds me of the blue aventurine in "Arizona". It is in very thin, fine lines on the tan base of the marble. It must be very rare. I only found 7 in my share. For marbles that looked extremely rare, we actually counted out each person's share. I know everybody got some of those.

I knew when you got to work on yours there would be questions. Your questions should help other team members to clarify some of my lumping. LOL Edna

Oh - all the team members should ask me questions. We just might discover something I never noticed.

I have completed 12 boxes. Here is one with Gary Langley's help on the picture.

marbleboxtop.jpg

Our marble pic at the top of the lid with a little girl dancing on her Dad's feet. Love that. I remember doing it.

Sticker below the pic has a place to put a person's name - the owner of the box.

insidethebox.jpg

Inside the lid is the dedication and the list of investors. Now to cut liners and dividers.

That pic/graphic for the lid is GREAT,NICE !!!!!!! Make sure i am on the list,same number as last time,to start with,LOL.

Running the marbles is the fun and shortest time,just ask Edna. The work beings afterwards.

Of course,the ones named by or for Triker,i think that i have ZERO.

I have not seen a bad,even average,group of any special run throughout 2008 at Jabo. NOT ONE. I am happy and privelaged to have been any part of any 2008 runs. Thank You to all and it involved many.

Ron Shepherd

I am flattered that I was able to contribute something, albeit nothing much. It makes it that much more special to be a part of these boards and to know all you wonderful souls out there. Every time I log in it's like coming home, and getting that long awaited hug from family and friends. You all will never fully know, just how you have positively impacted my life in these short months. I only wish I could have done more to help. God Bless you all exceedingly.

Got lead? Just some food for thought. If you are not aware there was a new law placed on the books which limits the amount of lead allowed in any product which could be used by a child under the age of 12. Manufacturers must certify their products lead free. The law takes affect on February 12, 2009 but also covers existing inventory. Marbles are definitely covered under this law. I know that Marble King and Fabricas Selectas / Vacor are planning on having paperwork filed by the deadline and will be able to provide lead free certifications. Unless a lead free certification is done or testing for lead has taken place, the item, regardless if it has lead in it or not is considered hazardous waste. It cannot be sold nor given away. I sincerely hope that Jabo plans on providing the same certification. I am sitting on quite a few old classics which I have been selling as toys - unless there is a certification issued, then no more sales. The fine for the first offense is $8000 and the second offense is $100,000.

For the full language of the law, see here: CPSIA law

Where will all this end. When no one in the USA has a job? When no one can buy a home? When no one can buy a new vehicle? Are we getting closer?

I have a few old classics Jabo and others,Akro,Vitro,CAC,etc. Does this mean i can no longer give away or sell these without this certification???? What about the old classic cars,where lead was used for body work,Can on one give them away or sell them? How many children have you EVER heard of with lead posioning from marbles????? We gripe about prices,no jobs,competition from foreign countries,but we just keep adding on more cost and regulations to raise the price and benefit the foreign competition.

USA freedom? Majority rule? Or miniority rules?

Try as hard as we want but we are not going to live forever. That is one thing that is not going to be prevented or outlawed.

Maybe we should just outlaw any or all production factories in the USA. Jabo closes for good and what are the employes going to do for income? No workers,no tax received. Sure it's only a few,but where does it end?

Someday there has to be a time when enough is enough.

Well, lead is deadly poisonous. But I think as a society as a whole, we have become so engrained with the fear monster that we now need to be protected from ourselves less we die. Sadly, we are all going to die someday and if you decide not to live in fear than your somehow less of a person with a terribly low IQ which will only get lower with all these toxins! Don't drink out of plastic, don't use teflon pans, aluminum pans, don't freeze your water bottle, and never drink your own tap water for heavens sake.

Don't forget that these, now deemed deadly lead poisoned marbles, are what many of you played with for hours as children yourselves. Or perhaps your parents played with them in my case, and even grandparents where known to shoot a round of mibs after church on Sunday. But now this lead is somehow more toxic and will kill you, give you cancer, kill your sex drive and whatever else. Just for the record, marbles never killed anyone in my family. My father died of a heart attack in Oct 2007 at the age of 63, which was not caused by lead poisoning. My grandparents all lived long and healthy lives until passing themselves, all over the age of 80 with the exception of my maternal grandmother who lived to be 92.

Now, I don't go around rolling lead fishing sinkers in my mouth, nor would I recommend it to anyone. But when will we learn to live without fear of something we really have no control over anyway? Anyone of you could die minutes after reading this from a stroke. Does this mean you should not read these boards anymore because something you read may raise your blood pressure and kill you? I second what wrons put so well in his post. Life is about so many other good things to focus on rather than fear. God Bless

I should have started a new thread with this topic - but it totally relates to the Last Dance Jabo marbles. It doesn't make a difference if the item is being marketed as a collectible - it is still covered under the law.

I really hope Jabo is able to offer the certification. I think this will only really hurt commercial sales people at the beginning. I am sitting on about 1000 pounds of Jabo Classics which are being sold on my website as well as at The American Toy Marble Museum. With no certification since the law also covers existing stock, I am screwed. All Jabo experimental runs are existing stock as well.

This law definately efects the people who were investors in Jabo runs of 2008 and the planned runs for 2009. They actually can't legally produce anything after the February date without the certification - this gives me hope that one will indeed be offered.

This law covers anyone who is a manufacturer - artist and crafts people are also considered manufacturers and are covered under this banner according to the law. So if you make contemporary marbles in any capacity, you also fall under this law. It covers any product which could be used by children under 12.

I hope this pans out in a good way since many people, including myself, are sitting on quite a few marbles.

Legally speaking, this can be avoided through a loop hole. Thank goodness for the loopholes in our law system, lol Seems a lable on the packaging that would read something like, "Not for children under 12 years of age" would cover this new legal requirement and get anyone around the certification process and the costs involved therein. Being totally ignorant of this new requirement however, I cannot say with any certainty that this age specification is listed in the new requirement wording. If it is indeed inthere, then legally it's a loophole. New thread, yeah probably but it's definately something we should be addressing. Thanks for your post. God Bless

Mannnn, I agree with Ron...

My sister & I were talking the other day about mercury and what fun we had with it, if a thermometer happen to break!! (And, you can clearly see the effect it had on me!!! :boggled: LOL)

If that happened today, we'd have to move into a hotel while guys in full ventilated protective gear gutted the house!!!

Then, there's the 3 years of welding I took in high school... All of the tables we worked on were asbestos...

Now, they're talking about banning ALL cell phone use in a car, even if it's hands-free???

What's next? If a hands-free phone isn't safe, how safe is it to have a passenger that you may actually glance at, from time to time???

Maybe we should all build ourselves little cocoons from memory foam and just STAY there....

WHAT??? Memory foam emits toxic fumes????

WE'RE DOOMED!!!!!

Good news! I did have a chance to finally talk with Dave at Jabo and he assures me they have been lead free due to Ohio laws for many years. It looks like he will just have to jump through the appropriate paperwork hoops to be certified under the umbrella of the new law.

That is great to know, Jabo's are top notch in my book. What other mibs are out there are like these? With the ability of us to get involved, I just love it! I hope they have them for years and years to come! If they do sell the company maybe we could all get together and purchase it somehow, now that would be something! God Bless!

Marble # 42 Level Three

levelthree.jpg

Level III is named as a tribute to a friend of ours, Brett - a Tribute, who is taking his Level III ski exam in February. This marble is to remind him and all who come behind to ski his own game, ski his own turns, and have fun. The examiners will press him and the members of his group to the edge of their skiing and thinking skills. Always start in a christie, whistle, smile, and give them a crisp clean stop after every exercise. They will have your pin with them at the exam. It is yours! But you must take it from their hands and it will always be your "gold" pin to wear with pride. Congrats on facing such a monumental task! Ski fast! Take chances! and always remember "there are no friends on a powder day."

This marble was named by Steve Sturtz.

The Missing Last Dance. I received a large box of marbles from David McCullough on Friday. Finally got through them all last night. I have previously mentioned a marble that I knew was missing from mine. David sent some in the batch of Tributes.

This marble is named Bolero.

The marble is on a transparent base with a white floater inside. On the outside of the marble are ribbons of oxblood and green mica. The marble was named by board name "iriegl" The marble was named by

Debbie Amburn.

bolero2.jpg

Here's another Last Dance that got overlooked:

I am naming this one The Wave. The wave is on a transparent base with a white floater. There are ribbons of yellow, olive green aventurine, and oxblood. The marble was given its name by Anthony. (Ant, it doesn't look as much like a wave as columbusrockhound's marble, but I like your name) Seems appropriate to me that the owner of JABOLAND should get to name a marble.

thewave.jpg

thewave2.jpg

Here is one last marble. The marble is on a tan base with green mica ribbons and bubblegum pink ribbons.

The bubblegum pink is oxblood. Funny thing about this run. We got oxblood in red, purple, magenta, pink, mahoghany, and dark blue. This marble has been named Minuet by Debbie Amburn.

notnamed.jpg

The Last Dance marbles with goldstone have now been photographed. We have 15 different families of marbles with goldstone. I used 3 or more marbles in each pic, hoping that at least one in each pic would show the goldstone. I think the scheme worked. There are no new names. The marbles with gold all have a plain marble just like them, but missing the goldstone. Here they are:

goldenbetty.jpg

Golden Betty

goldenbluetango.jpg

Golden Blue Tango

goldencalypso.jpg

Golden Calypso

goldencharleston.jpg

Golden Charleston

goldendolly.jpg

Golden Dolly