Poor Richard's Almanac- Jabo:a Classic 1-14-09

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FeelingMarbleous
Even though I know this will anger some I will tell another truth.I have noticed over and over again on the ID board,when members find out ther marble (being IDed) is a Jabo they are dissapointed.They say "I was hoping it was a pelt"or a CAC or MFC but they never say they wish it had been a Jabo.Why is that the case? Bo

DAMMIT BO NOW YOU'VE DONE IT :lol: j/k

Honestly the majority of the time when a mib is posted and it is a Jabo it's not a Special Run sorry Jabo folks but up until the Jokers jabo is poo really, and the last dance is what made me even take another look, and when newbs get upset it's because of value lets face it, it is value or they wouldn't be upset about it being Jabo and not an old mib that holds value because when they can't even tell the difference in the glass what else could it be but value because they still don't know what quality is imho

Now not to take away from the quality of some of the Special runs because they turned out KILLER and to say they don't compare to Akro's, Pelts, or even CAC's is just....... all makers have entry level mibs that are plain, it all boils down to what one person likes and thats the bottom line, who cares what everyone else thinks collect what you like.......

Hello Kevin,good to hear from you.Yes I like the first two Joker runs also and the aces.I will tell you something,the cyclone and the aces or any of the jabos on clear glass are my favorite to collect.The reason is that since there on clear glass there is no buttcrack,maybe they should make more like that.Do you have any of those yet?Not all the Jabos before the Joker runs are poo;I found many of the 2004 superman marbles contain aventurine,they are some of my finest.According to my research this was the first time aventurine was found in a Jabo production run,green yellow and pink aventurine.You might want to get a couple of those,in my opinion they will have real value,soon.Have a great day Kevin, Bo

post-1768-1232383308_thumb.jpg

Then skip the posts about JABO. No one is forcing you to read. I skip the posts about cateyes, never complain about their number of posts, people investing in them, people who collect them, just no interest so i don't read. But, this is not really about using our brains, is it? It's about bashing JABO, David, investors, collectors, and Sturtz. Steph thinks I hijacked the thread asking Mike who his favorite maker was. Mike simply stated he disagreed with the statement in the article. I wanted to know. I didn't ask Galen. I knew he would start the bashing. I already knew his favorite and he knows I knew it. I ignored his first remark hoping he would stop with that one. I asked for Mike's opinion. Mike gave it. No problem.

Bo was polite at first too and I ignored his comment. Never pays I guess to ignore because Bo got progressively more trashy with his remarks. NEW BIRD, some of us are tired too with constant jabber about JABO in a derogatory manner. Unfortunately we can't skip reading it because thanks to Galen and buddies it keeps popping up on our posts. We are not allowed to appreciate or celebrate successes or beauty of the marbles we love. It does make some folks wonder about things we've heard said. Did the Jokers enlist the aid of Galen to criticize the marbles to drum up attention and increase sales? Interesting thought. The Joker's may be the only true investors. To my knowledge they are the only ones who've made any money. More power to them. Making money is not a crime. Are the Joker's the ones that cause fright in CAC collectors? Are the CAC collectors really scared to death that the experimental JABO's are cutting into their profits, their prices they can ask for CAC's? I don't see it that way at all. It seems to me a different crowd investing in CAC's and collectors buying pretty marbles they can afford. Why does that cause such hatred? It shouldn't. Or are some other people correct in thinking if Galen didn't harbor such a grudge based on lies about one of our group, he'd leave us alone?

Marbles are fun guys and gals. Why rain on anybody's parade? I'd like to get back to having fun. I happen to like all marbles. I collect akro, peltier, marble king, vitro, CAC, marbles from the Ritchie County marble factories, and yes - Contemporaries. I do not collect antique hand mades. I don't bash them or their collectors. I never bought a fake CAC. I don't read the posts about the antique hand mades any more than I read about cateyes. I think what I'd like to see is that the bashing of JABO, Dave, Steve, collectors of JABO stop popping up in our threads. There is a difference in having a different opinion and bashing, denigrating, downing, trashing, putting down, attacking, and out right lying. We are all smart enough to know that difference and refrain from it, but some of our detractors do it anyway, even though they are smart enough to know the difference. And like Duffy, for me putting IMHO and peace, does not make it OK. Could you simply not read our posts and not post your crap on our posts? Here it is again. I WILL NEVER RUIN YOUR THREADS CELEBRATING WHAT YOU COLLECT. I THINK THAT'S MY THIRD TIME IN THIS THREAD SAYING IT TO THE DETRACTORS. PLEASE SHOW US THE SAME RESPECT. NO ONE IS TWISTING YOUR ARM TO READ! Edna

Short and sweet! A NEW BIRD talking. I myself am getting tired of the constant jabber about Jabo by the INVESTORS. The word investors says it all. Out to make the almighty buck.

Well I was gonna leave this alone for awhile but I have an idea.Awhile back there was the problem with newbies and ids on the main page.Some folks wanted the ids on another page so they would not have to sift thru them to find there freinds.In my opinion that has worked out well.Maybe we should give some thought or a vote to create another area for vintage marbles or jabos,like the ID page.What do you think.Problem solved? Vintage collectors won't be annoyed and jabo collectors can build each other up. Bo

Steph thinks I hijacked the thread asking Mike who his favorite maker was.

I didn't say that, Edna. Nor do I think it.

I simply said that Galen didn't hijack the thread by talking about his candidates for best maker. Galen's post was in keeping with the direction the thread had taken at that point. By asking Mike who is favorite maker was, you reinforced the direction Mike had turned it to. And Galen proceeded in the same direction you and Mike took.

I know I care about accuracy to the point of being seriously uptight about it. There's a reason though. I've had a lot of turmoil in my life. Being as grounded as I could on as many details as I could was a protection. If even my friends assume things about my thoughts which aren't accurate, that shows how easy it is to make a misstep in chaotic situations. That leads to more confusion. The truth is the only way I know to ground things.

There will be no separate sections for different marble era/types etc. We have gone through this before.

I happen to have put up money for the last group that was run, am I an investor, I guess. But my thought process was to keep JABO producing marbles, not how much money I was going to make. In fact, my three boxes are still not looked at and one day when I get the time I'll look.

I think Edna has a point, if you have to bring gloom to a thread, don't post. We have heard all the shit already, it's tiresome.

Lou

There will be no separate sections for different marble era/types etc. We have gone through this before.

Lou

Lou, with all respect I understand your position . This has been tried before and it worked . At the time this board was becoming an I D for Ebay page that was solved sucessfully with the seperate I D page. And now it has become a Jabo promotion page .

I won't post any more on your dictator board. ANyone who did this and say the arn't interested in the money they hope to make is full of $#%^. Go to Jabo Land. There's a post over there about twice a week. Take your $0.10 marbles and enjoy. Anyone who still pays $10.00 each is a idiot. SHip 100 of them and when they arrive ther might be 60 that are whole. No takeing into account the out of round and chipped.

This board is for all marbles, including JABO's, Mega's, CAC's, Akro's, Pelt's, etc. If you can't handle it don't post.

My GOD, this is hysterical!!!

To see how you "Machine Made Collectors" react to changes in YOUR hobby!!!

Lou, I know it was a "slip" that you forgot to mention Swirls (the REAL ones, not the ones from WV) Clambroths, Peppermints, Sulphides, Chinas, Benningtons, Steelies and Agates.....

You folks just don't know how long I've waited for this!!! :icon_lmao:

lol Sue.

It is funny, isn't it.

Pete made a parallel post over at LOM today. Musing about the possibility that machinemade collectors have not only come into their own but been there long enough that they are possibly feeling some of the things handmade collectors about their niches a decade or two ago.

I'll never forget the post that Larry Castle made on the earliest version of this board, when it was still a part of AOL....

He was announcing the publishing of his newest book and said... I won't tell you what it's about... But, I'll give you a hint........................... MEOW!!!

The reaction was "NO WAY!!!!" a book about friggin' CAT'S EYES??? Holy Shnit!!! Where has this hobby sunk to?? You've GOT to be kidding, right??" (Alan was a wise-assed newbie then....)

It had been so tough to accept machine mades and all the gushing about them.... But, CATS???

C'mon!!!

Climb on the wagon folks and meet the "New You"....

Whether you like it or not, time, like marbles, just keeps rollin' on!!!

And.... I'll add.....

I was told, once, that Larry Castle had a hundred 100-gallon barrels of machine made marbles in his barn and the only reason he was writing books, was to make a pile of money!!!

Well.... If you check back to one of the posts on Larry's passing, you'll see he was driving a bus up until 2 weeks before he died.... So, I guess that didn't work out so well.

Yet, I know that he enjoyed devoting a portion of his entire life to simply collecting marbles.

Sorry to butt in to a response meant for someone else, but the only real, honest reason for the jabo private runs is to make money. If you have so much fun doing it that making your money back isn't important to you, that's good for you. But it's not the reality of the business (and it is a business). It's common sense and it's the reality of the situation.

This is for Hansel. We have invested $1,000 in each of 3 runs. One of them is not done yet. I never thought of it as an investment. Doesn't an investment make money for you? On our first run, I sold enough marbles and hand made boxes to get my initial investment of $1,000 back. It did not cover my trip to Reno, Ohio - gas, meals, lodging. My most enjoyable time after that run was being able to give friends and other deserving people some beautiful marbles. I like making people smile. Maybe in years to come those Tributes will earn me some money, but I think it will probably happen in my grandson's life time, not mine. I haven't sold a single Tribute Last Dance. Haven't been to a marble show since that run. I have made 100 boxes which I will sell along with the marbles, but I give away as many as I sell. So my second investment of $1,000 has not seen any replacement. When Galen talks about "for profit" and the "big bucks" we are making, I find that offensive. Weldon and I do it for the fun of it. We love being at the factory, spending time with friends like Dave, Bill, Ron, David T., Debbie, Elizabeth, Steve, Steve P., Howard and Julia P., etc. etc. etc. We love giving marbles away. We do believe they will appreciate in value over time, but not our life time.

Hansel, I hope that's what you wanted to hear. This is an honest report. Edna

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is my real honest answer to Hanzel's question.

To my knowledge, the Joker group is the only one to have made money, yet we kept on doing it. It is not all about money. It would be interesting to hear from the Madyia's, Aces, Eagles, Jinks, Peltier Mansions, and Marleys. Ask Hanzel for his input. He should know, he paid for a run.

Part of our reason is keeping JABO open and the jobs saved at least for a while. I gave an honest account for us. I didn't speak for anybody else. I'm sure everyone in each group of investors has their own reasons. Ours was to have fun. We are not beer drinkers or smokers (Weldon and I) so we don't throw money away on those. We are both retired educators. You know from that we are not wealthy. We give ourselves an allowance each month for marbles. Haven't found any marbles we wanted in a long while. So we had marble money saved up. Believe it or not, we did it for the fun of being a part of it, the fun of sharing the marbles with friends and family, the fun of giving marbles away. We did sell enough of the first run to get that investment back and we may get the second one back when we've been to a marble show. I don't know of anybody who gets rich from marbles. If folks thought they would have instant riches, they are mistaken; unless you know of some others who did make money. Add that info please. I'd like to know and I'm sure others would be interested to know also. Our marbles will be passed to our son and then to his son. He may make money with what we leave behind. If you've never been part of a marble run, you are missing out or maybe we just don't know how to have fun. LOL

There are all sorts of riches that are not about money. I will always remember Weldon being asked by another team member at our first run, "Why are you doing this?" Weldon pointed to me and said "See that woman over there. It's for her and we had $1,000 to spend." Now make light of that if you wish, but it's our honest answer. We are not large investors. We'd never fund a run by ourselves. But a lot of small investors are part of our group, we all like each other, enjoy being with each other, enjoy working together, and hanging out. That's it - no hidden agenda, no secrets, no ulterior motives. What a great group we have! Looking forward to our next run. Edna

I wonder how much the "Dirty Jobs" broadcast will have on the effect of sales for these marbles?

Was there money made from it's being broadcast? (There's more than one way to make a buck!!)

Jo, what was the date for that broadcast again?? I happen to catch the show last night and was thinking, it should be comin' up???

Good PR can make a lot of changes in old routines!! ;)

Whether the intent is to profit, or just to have fun (Or both....) It can't be a bad thing to keep people workin'.... Especially, through this kind of winter.

I was there for Hansel's run...we left the Vegas show to get there for it. It was an interesting couple of days and we enjoyed ourselves. (I posted all the photos from it on this board)

They are ok marbles and if you enjoy them, that's great for you.

Making them is, and always has been, a business. It's a business for everyone at Jabo and the only reason that the business will close is because it's not profitable. Any business that doesn't make a profit cannot continue to operate.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is my real honest answer to Hanzel's question.

To my knowledge, the Joker group is the only one to have made money, yet we kept on doing it. It is not all about money. It would be interesting to hear from the Madyia's, Aces, Eagles, Jinks, Peltier Mansions, and Marleys. Ask Hanzel for his input. He should know, he paid for a run.

Part of our reason is keeping JABO open and the jobs saved at least for a while. I gave an honest account for us. I didn't speak for anybody else. I'm sure everyone in each group of investors has their own reasons. Ours was to have fun. We are not beer drinkers or smokers (Weldon and I) so we don't throw money away on those. We are both retired educators. You know from that we are not wealthy. We give ourselves an allowance each month for marbles. Haven't found any marbles we wanted in a long while. So we had marble money saved up. Believe it or not, we did it for the fun of being a part of it, the fun of sharing the marbles with friends and family, the fun of giving marbles away. We did sell enough of the first run to get that investment back and we may get the second one back when we've been to a marble show. I don't know of anybody who gets rich from marbles. If folks thought they would have instant riches, they are mistaken; unless you know of some others who did make money. Add that info please. I'd like to know and I'm sure others would be interested to know also. Our marbles will be passed to our son and then to his son. He may make money with what we leave behind. If you've never been part of a marble run, you are missing out or maybe we just don't know how to have fun. LOL

There are all sorts of riches that are not about money. I will always remember Weldon being asked by another team member at our first run, "Why are you doing this?" Weldon pointed to me and said "See that woman over there. It's for her and we had $1,000 to spend." Now make light of that if you wish, but it's our honest answer. We are not large investors. We'd never fund a run by ourselves. But a lot of small investors are part of our group, we all like each other, enjoy being with each other, enjoy working together, and hanging out. That's it - no hidden agenda, no secrets, no ulterior motives. What a great group we have! Looking forward to our next run. Edna

Why do these threads get to this point. The Jabo special run people are living the dream. I wish I could go in on one of those runs but for many reasons I can't. Just to see it done. Just to be there with the people who are keeping the hobby that we ALL are apart of alive. I met WVRON and a friend of his in Elkins and thought that was cool. I could only imagine how much fun it would be to be at Jabo watching mibs roll out.I have some older Jabos and I must say the newer ones are much nicer. Of course a little bit pricier but you must pay to play. In another thread we have a young man wondering how to make a run to benefit the hungry and in this thread we are trying to figure out who is slamming who? There is so much fast talking and back and fourth, I thought that this was a filibuster on Capitol hill. I actually have no idea as to where the thread went I just know that some people must just like to bicker and argue. Hey life is short........Have fun and be nice! Plus my mom and your mom said if you don't have something nice to say about someone or something then don't say anything.