Poor Richard's Almanac- Jabo:a Classic 1-14-09

It is getting very humerous here. So now we are only supposed to post nice things that the Jabo sellers want to read. How about

Just don't read the posts you don't want to read. . Edna
How about just applying this to all the terrible things I have to say about the new Jabo runs.

I mean, lets get real, Is my posting my opinion about the Jabos any different at all than the posts in favor of them. This is a board open to OPINIONS. Negative or positive. At least I thought it was. And I do not start posts here slamming the Jabos. They are usually just a responce to some overblown hype that I find offensive. Probably like they find my posts offensive. It is simply amazing to me that my posts actually have so much control over some folks that they actually get upset. Simply amazing. We are talking about little glass balls, people. Why on earth would you let this stuff effect your lives so much that you would get upset. I do not make you upset. You let yourselves become upset. Oh yea, Thanks for the Marbles Dave.

Guest FeelingMarbleous

Hey Bo, i been great ! kind of miss ya hanging on the board, i haven't got many of the other runs accept the Fall harvest some Madyias, and a few Aces, but you know im a WV junkie so the last dance mibs where right up my Alley HAHA

In my mind the other Jabos that aren't Swirly enough or busy or "Buttcracked" are poolain thats just my opinion, i know good stuff when i see it and the Jokers first run and The Last Dance run are great ! but im not knocking any other run and if someone makes $ great if not who cares COLLECT WHAT YOU LIKE is it that hard ?

Anyways good to see ya back Bo !

I hate to be confrontational, but cannot help myself on this one. This is a response on Sue's last post on the other Jabo thread. Sue, I don't mean to change course on this thread, but it has been swinging in every direction already. These machinemade marbles have been produced since early 1920'ties as toy collectibles. It is written on original Peltier boxes 'Collect Them All'. They have survived all these years in peoples collections. Why is it so difficuly to understand why we collect them? Your jabs on machinemade collecting far exceeds in years against Galen's jabs on Jabo marbles. I don't mean to redirect the topic, but I thought this thread turned into manners of postings, giving opinions anyway and have nothing to do with the original post.

Sami

Just don't read the posts you don't want to read. . Edna

Edna, by contradictory, I mean how can I know in advance if I like a post unless I read it ? I have never said I don't want to read Jabo posts, I own many Jabos myself.

Edna please read your own quote.

I read EVERY THREAD on EVERY BOARD I visit.

I respond to every or any thread I feel like.

Jabo did something for the first time in their 22 year history.

In 2008 they surpassed what THEY have done in THEIR own

factory. Prior to this they made industrial marbles and limited

runs of toy marbles. If the mind set is to establish a belief that Jabo

has produced the Best Machine-Made-Marbles....good luck. Push

"The Hype"....keep Promoting........post the Propaganda. I'm

going to read all of it. I'll say whatever I want about ALL OF IT.

Jabo has taken their place in the CATAGORY of Swirl Marbles.

Back in "The Day"....the Swirls where the AFFORDABLE MARBLES AS WELL.

The OS.....Ohio Swirls. They are writing THEIR own history as we speak.

It will be contested.....just like ALL the other Factories that made marbles.

The only difference NOW.......the CAN'T DEAD SPEAK. So some of us

will speak for them......like it or not. So DEAL WITH IT......IT'S FAR FROM OVER !!!

RAR

Oh yeah........EVERYONE IS AN EXPERT !!! Put me

a room filled with 5...10......20.......100.......people

that don't know SQUAT about marbles...I'm the EXPERT.

That's how it works.

If not.......I'd like to know what the requirements are ???

Do tell !!!

RAR

These machinemade marbles have been produced since early 1920'ties as toy collectibles. It is written on original Peltier boxes 'Collect Them All'. They have survived all these years in peoples collections. Why is it so difficuly to understand why we collect them? Your jabs on machinemade collecting far exceeds in years against Galen's jabs on Jabo marbles.

Sami, I don't think the print on the box refered to putting them in play guarded protective cases and selling them for 3-digit dollars.... Do you?

They have survived all these years in peoples collections.

The truth is... Prior to 1985 - 90, machine made marbles were not taken seriously by very many collectors, unless they had something very special about them. Like, being in original packaging, being printed, like a comic, or having some other unique quality that made it stand out...

If you go back into antique & collectible publications, there's many articles about collecting marbles... Machine made marbles are NOT mentioned (with the possible exception of the comics)

Heck, if you go back earlier than the 1960's, about the only marble considered of value, was a sulphide.

The publications are out there, doing the research isn't difficult....

I'm sure there are exceptions. But, as a group of collectors, that was the norm.

There was a time when this exact same sort of conflict was going on between handmade collectors and machine made collectors...

Many handmade collectors no longer participate much in the hobby, because they have no interest in machine made marbles.... They complained that there's too much talk about machine mades and they don't want to hear it... There was talk of separate forums for machine mades and handmades... There was speculation that it had nothing to do with enjoyment, only money... That the appreciation of machine mades would lower the value of the handmades.... It was a huge change.

There was a lot of head shaking, with predictions of foolishness and doom.....!!!!

Ring a bell??

I have no problem understanding why "We" collect them... I have to admit, it took me a while to appreciate them.. But, I caught on... In the past few years, I've probably bought more machine mades than handmades and... likely.... more contemporaries than either... I love all three, including Jabos. (Please note, RAR)

That's exactly my point...

Had I had an open mind from the beginning, I coulda had one hellova machine made collection, for a lot less $$ than you folks have!!! But, I was stubborn....

I just find it all very amusing how each newcoming group to the hobby fights for their "stake."

Then, tells the next group that there's no room on this "old" turf for them...

I'm finally getting the laugh that a grandparent gets when they start seeing their children having difficulty with "The Kids!!!"

;)

No Bo, I was responding to Sami....

Steph will vouch for me.... Last week, I was complaining that all the Jabo talk was getting a little over bearing... And no, I'm not running out to buy a bunch.... Some old habits die hard.

It's just the same old song and dance... Change happens whether your with it or not.

Bo, I said don't read the JABO posts. I sure did. Aren't you the person who suggested JABO be given its own section so that you didn't have to read the JABO posts. I don't agree and Lou didn't either and he nixed that idea. So I think the solution is that if you don't want to read JABO posts, you just skip them. I already explained that I don't like reading cateye posts. If the title says cateyes - I simply skip it. Never read it. Same thing with antique handmades. I don't collect them, have no interest in them. If it's in the title of the post, I don't read it. Are you just being argumentative or do you not understand what I mean? I think the really classy people give others the right to their own likes and dislikes without showing disrepect by ruining their posts with negativity. Really classy people who are given gifts of every run of experimental JABO's by the Vice President himself and one of the originators of the idea of experimentals say THANK YOU to both of the gift givers. Really classy people don't come on these boards and trash other peoples posts with ridicule. And really classy people don't post that they laughed out loud so hard they peed their pants.

Now if you really do like reading about JABO because you do collect some of it, why on earth would you join in the bashing? Why would you complain about the celebration of JABO and then say you want to read it. Talk about contradictory.

This thread has deteriorated on this last page to the ridiculous. Look at the crazy things that have been posted. Looks like some of you have a bad case of the crazies and need to take your meds. Some of the most respected of you have complained about Sue. Sue didn't say anything negative about machinemades. She told you the history of collecting machinemades. She's made a comparison of how collectors felt when people began collecting machinemades. I think its funny that the same arguments were used then that are being used now. I think some of us don't read close enough and go off half cocked at "a sentence" that irritated us. I've been around long enough to see the tide change about Vitro Agate and now it's changing about JABO. In 10 years it will be something else in the marble world. Live and let live. THIS IS A HOBBY, NOT A BUSINESS. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FUN. CAN WE STOP THIS NONSENSE?

• Like 1

Well I was gonna leave this alone for awhile but I have an idea.Awhile back there was the problem with newbies and ids on the main page.Some folks wanted the ids on another page so they would not have to sift thru them to find there freinds.In my opinion that has worked out well.Maybe we should give some thought or a vote to create another area for vintage marbles or jabos,like the ID page.What do you think.Problem solved? Vintage collectors won't be annoyed and jabo collectors can build each other up. Bo

Edna, this is what I said

Edna !

You sure enjoyed trashing Old MarbleNut on SP's Board.

You didn't need to go to that Board...but you did. You

didn't have to read the threads...but you did. You didn't

have to respond to the threads..but you did. :Sad_headshake_tweetz:

Ya High Jacked my Jim King Thread on JaboLand. It was about Jim King.

NOT Dave McCullough...but ya couldn't let that RIDE !!!

Double Standards ? There are consequences that come with those !

RAR

And when really looking at all the posts it is only just a hobby to some of us. In reality apprx. 1/2 of the posts are now about selling. Either folks promoting for their sales, directing folks to their sales, or asking for IDs to make a sale. 16 out of 33 posts on the current main page are directly or indirectly promoting the sale of marbles. It has basically become a big Ad section with a lot of Jabo promotion including a few posts about vintage marbles. Peace,Galen

No Bo, I was responding to Sami....

Steph will vouch for me.... Last week, I was complaining that all the Jabo talk was getting a little over bearing... And no, I'm not running out to buy a bunch.... Some old habits die hard.

Yup.

Sue doesn't have dog in this race.

She's a handmade collector who's trying to accentuate the positive because she knows how much the Jabos mean to some of us.