Poor Richard's Almanac- Jabo:a Classic 1-14-09

Edna !

You sure enjoyed trashing Old MarbleNut on SP's Board.

You didn't need to go to that Board...but you did. You

didn't have to read the threads...but you did. You didn't

have to respond to the threads..but you did. :Sad_headshake_tweetz:

Ya High Jacked my Jim King Thread on JaboLand. It was about Jim King.

NOT Dave McCullough...but ya couldn't let that RIDE !!!

Double Standards ? There are consequences that come with those !

RAR

No I " hijacked" that thread with facts of what really happened Nov 27, 2007. Here are the facts again so you have the truth!

a JABO oxblood story from 11-27-07 #3. You were talking about the "Jim King" oxbloods which Dave made.

(Thu, 1-Jan-09 12:46)

Reply Quote Edit MoreMy Recent Posts I will tell you a New Years Eve story and you can decide if you have the facts.

I DO remember Jim King on Nov 27, 2007. I also remember David McCullough and Richard McKnight.

Dave crushed a kilo of aventurine with a 5 pound sledge and then Dave put it in the crucible. When that glass came out, there was no aventurine showing in any of the marbles. While waiting for the first kilo to come out of the crucible in marble form, Dave crushed the second kilo of aventurine with the 5 pound sledge hammer. This time the kilo David crushed was gold in color. Dave then put the gold fritt in the crucible. Thirty minutes later, the marbles came out and they did not have aventurine in them either. So I guessed the experiment was a failure. But, we watched the marbles cool in the lehr. As the marbles cooled and the colors set, Richard suddenly said, "There is oxblood!" And there it was.

I tell this story to you with some confidence that it is accurate because I was standing there when this all happened. I took pictures. There are pictures of these marbles in the lehr (still hot at the end of the rollers) in our book "Dave's JABO Renaissance" on page 12.

Someday soon, I might publish a picture of David McCullough crushing the gold aventurine. Both Jim King and Richard McKnight are also in the picture-watching - watching as David worked. To date, I haven't shown the pictures to anyone because I didn't want to ruin a good story with the facts.

So there is your New Year's Eve story. I hope you are pleased to have the facts.

I saw and photographed this story on the morning of November 27, 2007 in the JABO factory. The afternoon was even more exciting.

Happy New Year!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And when really looking at all the posts it is only just a hobby to some of us. In reality apprx. 1/2 of the posts are now about selling. Either folks promoting for their sales, directing folks to their sales, or asking for IDs to make a sale. 16 out of 33 posts on the current main page are directly or indirectly promoting the sale of marbles. It has basically become a big Ad section with a lot of Jabo promotion including a few posts about vintage marbles. Peace,Galen

Galen,

Tell the truth. You are "mistaken". You continue to make the same "mistake" to hurt others. I for example haven't listed any marbles on ebay since early December. So you just give us lots of little half truths that are offensive. Sooner or later, I will list some of the Last Dance marbles, but it won't be soon....so I guess my marbles aren't very profitable...they are dusty.

Passionate & dramatic times for those that collect marbles. Imagine the outcry back in...well over 100 years ago when suddenly a German marble hut started doing something different. Grrr..

Marbles are art, art is subjective as it gets.

Agree or disagree there's no wrong or right. Just popcorn and marbles baby :icon_popcorn:

Sturtz !

You showed your true colors again. The thread was a " THANK YOU "

Thread FOR JIM KING. And here you are again. THANKLESS for what HE DID !!!

You must see him as subordinate member in the "Jabo Family". That's SAD !

Too bad you just can't thank the man here or on any other Board.

I'll put this on page 12..........15.........20.....if I have to !

RAR

ribbons,

Again, you are speaking without the facts.

May I draw your attention to a post on Marble Connection dated August 23rd and titled, “Jim King/Cathy Runyon – Guinness Book of Records Tournament.” Where I said,

“I heard the best marble story of the year yesterday! Today a Tournament is being held in Kansas City. We all hope it is a success and sets a new world record for the Guinness Book of Records. Cathy Runyon is running it. BUT, the real story is a story in a story.

Cathy wished she had more JABOs and as we speak, those JABOs are being delivered to the tournament site. Jim King came through huge!!! He heard of Cathy's desire and shipped her a bunch of 3/4 JABO shooters-including Jokers-yes Jokers. So you see there are many lessons here- Jim's support of marbles and in particular anything JABO. Jokers are being played with and on the biggest arena in marble history. Any marble can be played with by children. Children will always pick the prettiest marble and use it when the time is correct.

Jim, I thank you from all of us for your great effort and selfless gift to Cathy and the young contestants in today's marble tournament.”

Now if that isn’t enough for you, may I also draw your attention to our book David’s JABO Renaissance where I gave Jim King the ultimate praise by chronicling his work at JABO in print in two of the chapters. His work was under the leadership of David McCullough and that is where most people have made their error in reporting the facts.

It takes 2 (or 3) to keep this going.... If you guys are really sick and tired of all this (as MANY of us are) you could simply walk away and let it die.... As long as one person is attacked... Be it Galen, Steve, Edna or whoever else jumps in... They will see the need to defend themselves...

Galen asks why he has no defense... Ya know Galen, I agree with so many of the things you say... I just don't see the need to pound it into the ground. You've made your point 10-20.... Maybe 100 times??

Is there ANYONE out there who doesn't know how Galen feels??? Speak now, while the thread is on top!!!

Is there anyone who ISN'T sick and tired of all this Shnit??? If so, please keep posting.

What the hell, Rick... page 12..........15.........20..... Go for it!!! As long as there's another idiot who has to get the last word, this thing will just go on an on, getting sillier and sillier.....

Count the participants and you'll see how many people care anymore....

Considering the equipment Dave works with his result is truly excellent and when I consider the difference between using blends of purchased glass vs making batches of custom glass I think its more difficult to use the purchased glass rather than being able to control the composition of the glasses so saying that Dave is not an artiest is a poor exercise in semantics. I must say that working with glass is more art than just science although much science must be brought to the work. Machine made means that the glass is rounded by machine rather than a mold held in the hand. Argument on these lines are just off base. As far as money goes I do not recommend a investment in glass (that is for the sake of profit) in fact I would be tempted to revive an old American sport reserved for deserving politicians known as the tar and feather party to be followed by the running out of town on a fence rail event so popular many years ago. Collecting glass has to be something to enjoy or else it resembles a mental illness like an obsession or an unpleasant excess of envy and greed or come to think of it an obsessive greed driven by envy or is that obsessive envy driven by greed hmm whatever hard to say. In the big picture the money involved in the marbles is small. The cost of the 2008 runs are small compared to hand made and older marbles. I think the prices of individual marbles are correct-no mistake, not so high as old glass but due to the reject rate, cost of materials, and production. Costs are in the ball park as the production is small, funded out of pocket by individuals. I know what kind of excitement the Madyia's generated first hand. If anyone wants to make money that is ok and I don't think its a bad thing that Jabo might survive another year and in fact I believe that something amazing may be possible so as far as I am concerned I don't collect marbles I just list and sell them for Jack Rogers but these Jabos are cool. In my opinion most of rhetoric about this run vs any other or this kind or that kind is largely driven by ignorance of the full runs and jealousy as all the runs have examples of eye candy that is outstanding and boxes that should be rejects as with any type of experimental product and the prices are no so high that any talk about investment is not so appropriate (its not impossible the demand is real and exists) as just oooh or awww so there! I say have fun yea! ;P Kim