Patents

Steph

The machine was usually a funnel of some sort, a type of shear mechanism and the rounding auger shaped rollers. These could be moved about and were placed under the furnace and feeders which in some cases could be very complicated. At jabo there really is no feeder system as the glass runs from a hole in the furnace floor directly into the shear mechanism. Mike has some great pictures of the Miller machine. The one that was at Jabo was not all original as there were recently added and removed parts. The Miller machine for manufacturing marbles patent pic is really close to what they looked like.

What was the name of the shop that made marble machines in the 40's? Do you think that the earlier marble makers 1910-1930 made there own machines? Did peltier modify the machines they bought from Miller themsevles? Did Miller make marbles on his own or did he go to work for peltier?

I don't remember if I learned the name of the shop. The name of the machinist I was thinking of was George Murphy. That's given in AMMM's Playrite chapter. I've seen a little more info on the shop and workers there, but I think it's spread out between the AMMM chapters so I'll have to do more reading.

• 6 months later...