Jabo Tribute To Friendship

sissydear

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got home last night around 1 am, safe and sound although a bit sore, tired, and sad to leave all those great people down there. Had a few teary, till later on's, and so forth and made alot of lifetime friends. I am so thankful, grateful and proud of the people involved in this run. Truly a top notch bunch of folks. The crew, Dave, Ronny, Richard, John, and other's whose names I can not remember, (please pardon my wretched memory!) were wonderful, helpful and answered all my questions or pointed me to the people who could answer them. Those in the Marble Crew were also wonderful, helpful and didn't mind my sub novice marble knowledge and barrage of questions that come along with that. lol This experience was one that my wife and I will cherish forever. I whole hearted agree with Griff, but I hope that even death will not erase the feelings of warmth, love and friendship that surrounded and enveloped this run. I pray for a safe trip home for everyone, and may God bless Jabo, and all the hard working red blooded Americans that give their sweat and toil for all of us to have great marbles. God Bless you all, now I am off to bed!

We are on the way home. Got as far as Jackson, Tennessee and we stopped for the night. I'm going to try and post some pics tonight. Ditto what Griff, Ron, and Gary said. This group is the greatest. My only regret is that it's over. The run is over but the friendships will last a life time. Edna

We got home last night a little after 11:00 pm. I can't believe how busy a 70 year old's life can be. I'm off to the dentist and then to a grandson baseball game. Tonight is the night to catch up on pics.

In the meantime, I need Ron Shepherd to send me a pic of Edith Irene's marble and Hod's marble. I don't want to get that wrong when i post. I know which one is Mylee's. Later. Edna

Pictures taken the second day of the run

booth2Cgriff2Cmeaux.jpg

Gale Booth talking to Griff, Russ Meaux watching marbles fall in the bucket

boothandpowell.jpg

Gale Booth and Walter Powell picking cullet

breaktime.jpg

Griff taking a break

checkingamarble.jpg

Burt Wilkins and Bruce Burkhart

conference.jpg

Ron Ewers and David McCullough conference

davidallengriffie.jpg

Griff and Ewers making marbles

eaton2Cneff2Cewers.jpg

Bob Neff, Edna Eaton, Ron Ewers

ewersandsturtz.jpg

Steve Sturtz and Ron Ewers conferring about the pretty stuff

frankandcandy.jpg

Homer Daugherty is one of our investors who didn't get to attend the run. Homer made candy and sent it for the enjoyment of the team. This is Frank Sellers eating some of the pecan brittle.

candygroff.jpgcandysteve.jpg

Griff sampling Homer's candy Steve sneaking Homer's candy

b7weldonandcandy.jpg

Weldon having a piece of pecan caramel

walterandcandy.jpg

Walter Powell enjoying the candy.

candyhomer5C27s.jpg

Homer sent pecan brittle and pecan caramel

Yes,Im "extra pretty",after standing on concrete,around molten glass for a couple days straight.

:icon_lmao: :rol: :icon_lmao: :rol: :icon_lmao: :rol: :icon_lmao: :rol: :icon_lmao: :rol:

Im probably in a lot of photo's.It couldnt be helped.Iwas there,ontop of it,all the time,and loving it!!

Dont worry,I cleaned up pretty good!--LOL

That brittle was da bomb!It gave me just enough energy to make it back up to paden city,after the run.I was a little cross eyed when I arrived,but managed to colapse on the couch.

frankandrubysellers.jpg

Frank and Ruby Sellers catching marbles. Nearly every one of our team took a turn catching them.

addingcullet.jpg

Frank and Ruby Sellers brought a large piece of akro cullet and each one added some of it to the tank. Frank is the grandson of lawrence Alley.

rubyaddingcullet.4649262.jpg

Ruby adding more of the akro cullet. It did show on a few of the marbles

glassstream.jpg

glass stream flowing to the cutting mechanism

griffandshepherd.jpg

Ron Shepherd adding one of Sammy Hogue's canes while Griff watches

Looking toward the opening at the back of the tank

1ladderclimb.jpg

Ron Ewers has finished selecting the additives and is about to climb the ladder to dump the pretty stuff into the crucible

2brothershowardandwalter.jpg

Two very close brothers - Howard and Walter Powell

3joehogue.jpg

Joe Hogue - Joe made boxes for the experimental runs

4juliaandgriff.jpg

5juliaandgriff2.jpg

Julia Powell, wife of Howard, visiting with Griff

Julia was a glass artist at Fenton Glass and i forgot to mention that Howard is the president of the West Virginia Marble Collector's Club

6kennyhouse.jpg

Another of our investors, Kenny House. Kenny came on the second day of the run and brought his wife and family with him

7garyandtina.jpg

Gary Langley, Tom Jinks, Ron Ewers, Tina langley, David Allen Griffie

8mccullough.jpg

David McCullough adding pretty stuff

9promotion.jpg

During the Tribute run these two got promoted to "Marble Maker" Richard McKnight and Ron Ewers

10langleymorgan.jpg

Gary Langley, Nola Morgan seated

a5simmons2Cjinks.jpg

Dale Simmons, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Jinks Tom did an experimental run by himself and joined us for the third Tribute run

a6ednarosspic.jpg

Ed Parsons named one of the marbles "Edna Ross". I think it's the prettiest marble in the bunch. Steve Pletcher blew lutz on the outside of it. Thank you Ed!

a7hodpic.jpg

Howard Powell also has a marble named for him. the marble is called "Hod". We'll show pics of the marbles and the named marbles later.

b10wilkins2Csturtz2Candeaton.jpg

A lot of great conversations took place in this corner. It was a good place to watch the making of the marbles and to rest and to have sharing of thoughts.

b1sturtzandmclaren.jpg

steve Sturtz and Frank McLaren Frank is Michael Warnellis' boss. It was his first marble run.

b2shepherdruby.jpg

Steve Sturtz, Ron Shepherd, Ruby Sellers

sorting1.jpg

On Saturday, we sorted and divided the marbles.

Scott is seated at the end of the table. He was a great help. Scott is a friend of Griff's. Griff, please PM me Scott's full name and mailing address. I'd like to send him a box and some marbles for his hard work. Burt Wilkins is next, then Weldon Eaton, then Ed Parsons

sorting2.jpg

Debbie Amburn and i sat on the opposite side of the table from the guys. We were sorting out the lutz marbles so they could be evenly divided among investors according to their level of investment.

sorting3.jpg

More sorting

c2homer.jpg

this is Homer Daugherty, the candy making investor. Weldon and i delivered his marbles to him on Monday evening, on our way home

c1lindaandhomer.jpg

Linda and Homer Daugherty - Linda and Homer had dinner ready for us when we arrived at their home in Arlington. We asked them not to, but they said they don't mind very well. The food was delicious including home made biscuits.

I think this is all the pics from the run. We had the time of our lives. I'll never regret investing in the 3 Tribute runs. It's not just the marbles. It's the people we met, the friends we made, the experiences we shared, the working together, playing together, and just plain having fun like kids. Thanks to everybody who was a part of the experience. Marble pics will be posted later and maybe we'll share more info about the fun. Edna

There is always something I miss. I missed getting pics of Ellen Phillips and Cole Burrell. Ellen is the Ben Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac writer in modern days. She and Cole are both new collectors. They came Friday night and helped to sort and I didn't take any pics that night. We went to dinner at a great Mediterranean restaurant in Marietta on Saturday night and again to breakfast at Shoney's on Sunday morning. Weldon and I really enjoyed their company. I hope somebody got pics of them and will post here. We are off again on Friday to do our annual Spring Break Trip with our grandson. Cole is in Charlottesville, Virginia and we hope to see him while there. Joseph wants to see Washington D.C. and we hope to make the Jefferson part of Virginia part of the trip. Edna

boardfront.jpg

I just couldn't wait until I got back from DC to post this. This is the Chinese Checker board that Gary Langley hand made for me. I couldn't resist digging in a box of marbles and placing some on it.

greenmica.jpg

These marbles are in green transparent glass with green mica inside floating.

lutz2Coxblood.jpg

These are in transparent glass. Some have lutz floating and some have oxblood floating.

redandmica.jpg

yellowandorange.jpg

boardback.jpg

And on the back of the board this signing. Thank you Gary for the board. i love that you made it for me and it's a one of a kind. Edna

I took a bit more time on your board Edna dear, lol But only because of the time constraints we had due to our trip to the run. I'll make him another one someday if he is nice to me. lol I still have to get one out for Carole and Darla. I haven't forgotten about you too ladies, just takes me longer than I imagine sometimes lol But I will get those done soon. Matter of fact I have Carole's almost done just need to do the engraving and it will be ready for some stain. This Chinese checker board was the first and only one I have done and it actually turned out better than I had expected. Glad you like it Edna dear, God Bless!

• 2 weeks later...

I sorted marbles all day for the last 2 days. I've finished and the first thing I noticed is that the marbles are so much easier to sort when they don't require a bright light to see them. The second thing I noticed is WE GOT FAR MORE DOUBLE INGOTS THAN WE'VE EVER GOTTEN BEFORE. We may have at least one double ingot for all the most beautiful marbles.

doubleingots.jpg

Hope to have pics done tomorrow and start posting the marbles. Edna