Born On Date:june 26-09

duffy

Yes B, you have a piece of history and I guess a COA could be appropriate, I just need a date LOL, I have no clue the date it was done, I think Scoop might hold that info, maybe she'll chime in and let us know LOL.

You are quite welcome, you know I love to share and to me, giving is what more people need to start doing, in this screwed up world there is too much...."it's all about me"

How about a pic of the marble and the blown ox??

PS.. I aint the man, just a man with a passion.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Brian, Thank Mig, brings back memories, I had lots of pix as I did the restoration, you can see some of the hardware I had to rebuild, all those pix are on 3-1/2" floppys somewhere LOL, can you get them easily converted, I have thousands of floppys with pix I saved over the years, pretty much every marble I've ever owned, someday I'd like to convert them but I'm not computer savy enough to know what I need.

That blown ox is one of 6 I did back then, I rember it being not very user freindly and at the time some of those chunks cost $80-$100, I did sell a few, hope they are still alive, again I think Clyde has one of them, I broke my keeper LOL

When I get home I'll photo the Sguinea, it's the last peice I have from those days.

Happy 4th. !

WOW 7 colors.... at least, not to mention the lime green aventurine!

Thanks Bocci, almost looks like fireworks, Thanks Bill for enjoying these Sguineas, how many do you have?

I can't place a date but I can remember my experiments trying to figure out how CA made Guineas/Cobras etc. one thing that allways made me think hand gathered was the fact that many had a single cut line, and not from a fold over, it was purely a single cut meaning that somehow somebody snipped the first gob off of the stream of glass OR they hand gathered them, making about 5-10 marbles per gather, first one being a single cut of course and the rest becoming more streched as they go, looking at a group of Guineas you can see the variations from one cut to swirly Guinea, my tests gave the same results, the technique used to make the Tank wash Guineas gets the colors on the surface but they don't get melted in as well as the originals and.... they will never exhibit a single cut nor do they allow the colors to strech out , this is my staging for a Guinea gather, single cut, spotty Guineas then more streched colors as the small gather was used up.

Still their actual technique is a mystery, nobody knows how they made them as none of this information is available, after all the Sguineas I made, I was left with handgathered as the only real possibility as the cut lines and color patterns I acheived were identical to the originals, shame this technique was never verified by CA records, however, my tests of handgathering proved succesful.

Nice job guys, brings back memories!!!

Bill, if you come to Wheaton next year can you bring the group?

Peace!

ok, it's Sunday morning July 5th.

7 offers on the box came in, thanks to all who took the effort!

To my surprize, not one of the previous Jabo Junikies (no offense intended) made an offer on this fine box of approx. 2000 super marbles, marbles made the way I wanted to do it a decade ago, marbles that to me have more historic value than any other marble I've ever held in my hands, marbles like "Lemonade Oxbloods" and "Bueberry Oxbloods", marbles with mica, aventurine and gold lutz floating at random in a very vintage style matrix, marbles that look like old WV swirls with a bonus of sparkles inside for the kid in us to discover.

Sad to think the Jabo investors/makers have no respect for these marbles, what could be the problem here? Did I expose a bad trait in someone? Did I upset someone by posting the COE and glass compatability issues? I hope you all understand I posted that info by request of Lou, he and a few others contacted me when the Aces started popping, feeling the information and advice may actually help somebody I posted all I could to help you all understand what was going wrong and the real ramifications of a bad product hitting the market.

I did my civil duty, trying to help only to be kicked and abused by a bunch of crybabys (again, not ALL of the makers) just the few who knew they were the ones who made the mistakes.

So.... in the end I am the happy dog, I have placed so many smiles on the faces of people, I made a wonderful run of marbles that can't be duplicated, and nobody knows my formula for lemonade.

Check you message boxes, one of you is going to be very happy and I do want a picture of that smile when you open the box!

Peace! Scott Meyer aka... oldmarblenut

scott.......i believe i chimed in on the whole glass compatiblility issue when it was raised. if i offended you at that time i did not mean to, guess i should only talk about things i know something about. btw thanks for everything again. Super marble community member!

Thanks Brian, it's not easy to offend me so no worries, I am a people person so I have much compasion and understanding for our faults, I'm far from perfect but I have never crossed the lines of theivery or deception as a few had tryed to accuse me of, the poeple who know ME know that I hold nothing but a belly full of laughter and a heart of gold, sure there is some resentment for the things people have done to me that have cause great troubles, but I don't let them control my life, I live happy doing as I please and I will continue to forgive the ones who make mistakes, we are only human.

Peace!

The machine was a 3/4" maker, it was fully operational and adjustable except for the cutting blade, it sits in the museum of American glass at Wheaton village with a plaque that tells the story of it's history, I have not made a marble on it since that one fine day in June many years ago.

Yes Brian, if you have pix of the machine etc. it would all be from that year and yes the handgathered marbles came from that time frame.

Yes psia, Wheaton was donated a Vitro machine many years ago, it was restored and put on display in the museum, nobody has used it since the marble show demo, they have no intention of using it for any reasons, I am fully aware of the donation paperwork and the restrictions it holds.

Yes Brian, if you have pix of the machine etc. it would all be from that year and yes the handgathered marbles came from that time frame.

Yes psia, Wheaton was donated a Vitro machine many years ago, it was restored and put on display in the museum, nobody has used it since the marble show demo, they have no intention of using it for any reasons, I am fully aware of the donation paperwork and the restrictions it holds.

I don't understand your answer. My questions were where did the machine come from and in what year? That's all I wanted to and still want to know.

Scott,

I am just rereading your post and it makes me curious. What were... "the donation paperwork and the restrictions it holds?"

<!--quoteo(post=98145:date=Jul 5 2009, 04:23 PM:name=oldmarblenut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldmarblenut @ Jul 5 2009, 04:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=98145"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes Brian, if you have pix of the machine etc. it would all be from that year and yes the handgathered marbles came from that time frame.

Yes psia, Wheaton was donated a Vitro machine many years ago, it was restored and put on display in the museum, nobody has used it since the marble show demo, they have no intention of using it for any reasons, I am fully aware of the donation paperwork and the restrictions it holds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Scott,

I am just rereading your post and it makes me curious. What were... "the donation paperwork and the restrictions it holds?"

Scott,

I see you came and left this evening without answerng my questions, so let me answer them for you!

You made "your experimentals" in 2003 which was 6 years ago.Tme flies. Memory fades...

The machine was donated in working order, clean, and it was given on the condition that it never make marbles. So either you or Mr. Wheaton knowingly and willingly broke the terms of the gift to Wheaton Village. Which of you chose to make marbles in violation of the rules of the gift?

In the pics in Brian's link, if you go down 12 pics on the left hand column it shows a pic of the plaque by the machine. The plaque tells of the donation and your work. It talks of your..."cleaning, grinding (sanding), polishing, and painting" In other words, you cleaned and cosmetically prepped the machine for display....a machine that was never to make marbles....and then either you or Mr. Wheaton made marbles on it.

You have said you made "the first experimentals." You did NOT! The name 2008 Experimental Runs was chosen by David McCullough as the name of a body of his work. Anybody who has any sense knows that glass workers/ marble makers are almost always experimenting . I am sure you are aware of that.

Boy this thread turned quickly from good info to something else. I am sorry but why does everything end up negative in here. If this post is offensive to anyone well I don't know what to say other than can't we all just get along. I guess there may be some history here between people I know nothing about but let's just all hold hands and sing "Kumbaya". :D