Crazy Marble

I have one too, and mine's the Italian clay one, very light weight. The interesting coloring comes from the (originally Italian)technique of "marblizing" paper, particularly the endpapers of good, expensively-bound books. Works on the oil-and-water-don't-mix principle. Oil-based colors are carefully floated on water, sometimes raked into lines or patterns, and, in this case, the marble (affixed to something like a pin) is dipped straight down through the colors and into the water, then slowly pulled back up through the colors, which are then deposited on the marble, as you see it. The result is pretty.

Ann

It absolutely makes sense. Mine sounds the same, more like a 1" than a 5/8.

Also, when I went back and checked mine, I realized it's heavier than I remembered -- at least heavier than an antique china marble of the same size.

It's definitely fired clay, and the colors were applied in the oil-and-water manner I described above, but I don't know if the surface gloss comes from some kind of clear coat applied after the oil-based colors dried, or the colors themselves are glossy. I'd guess the colors are glossy -- if I rub the surface lightly with a finger there's a very slight resistance, or a kind of silent "squeekiness." Obviously, words fail at this point. Try yours!

Ann

I think the gloss is in the paint, the white bass material showing through in the below picture is not glossy at all. I'm not sure I understand the way the color is applied, how is it that the colors don't "break off" on the opposite side of the marble when you lift it out of the paint? -Jess

( I like that silent squeakiness description :) )

post-78-124731785151_thumb.jpg