Machine Mades

Ric,does your marble have a seam ? Is your marble oxblood,brown or red? From what i remember,it is not oxblood,and no seams. I also remember the blue in your marble is more solid and more coverage of the marble than Vitro aqua marines. I need it in hand again,bring it along in a few weeks,but now i still lean to Alley,but possible swirled,no seams Vitro aqua marine.

Kevin, I withdraw any semi-automatic Akro call I made for yours based on ox. Whatever part of my call was based on pix others posted of Akros in those colors, that would stand, but objections based on ox, not so much.

I see more and more ox floating around aqua glass. So much that now it seems like it could be an accident associated with that color. Yours is an awful lot of ox but stray amounts of ox near aqua glass seem almost natural now. (or maybe it's part of the red, or a mix or whatever, point is my previous objection is withdrawn)

Ric,does your marble have a seam ? Is your marble oxblood,brown or red? From what i remember,it is not oxblood,and no seams. I also remember the blue in your marble is more solid and more coverage of the marble than Vitro aqua marines. I need it in hand again,bring it along in a few weeks,but now i still lean to Alley,but possible swirled,no seams Vitro aqua marine.

Hey Ron, I hope everything is great with you. I think you remember this marble correctly. There are no seams to speak of. The construction is similar to many Alleys, and although the colors do look pretty Vitro in the right light, the base is more creamy than the Vitros I've seen and the blue seems more powder blue than typical Aquamarines. Also, the striping does not look like ox - more of a brown/red and, overall, the glass is not as filamentous as the aquamarines I've seen either.

But ultimately, whether it's an Alley or an odd Vitro, it's a really nice marble. And more importantly, I'm sure we'll have great fun discussing the possibilities when we meet again. For me, that's the best part of this hobby.

If I ever do get a "positive" ID, it'll wind up on the shelf, just like a book I've already read - great for reference and nice to revisit occasionally, but lacking the excitement and expectation associated with finding and reading the next great one.

Steph you weren't the only one who thought Akro was a possibility, but i do remember you thinking it could be, no worries though,i was just curios about Rics mib cuz it stood out from the other ones, and ive never seen an Alley look like that one...

When I saw the blue and brown/red marble I immediately thought Vitro Aquamarine. I found about fifty in one group at a show a few years ago and bought. That looks just like several from that group.

Don

I can see Vitro or maybe a possible Akro for this marble but it is a lot different from Rics marble pictured earlier.

Don does your aquamarines have cut lines or seams? The one Ric has,does not and it is a swirl type pattern not the more typical patch and ribbon pattern of aquamarines. The blue in Rics marble is different than most aquamarines. But there is always a few odd balls. But i have not seen many normal size,normal production run,Vitro without a seam or cut line.

Interesting marble and a good thread.

Mike, I don't know much about Akro vs. Vitro in the tricky cases. Mostly I have pix on hand which let me know that they are tricky and make me reluctant to say one way or the other. Here's a group I gathered together a little while back with some resemblance to yours.

post-1130-124805170407_thumb.jpg

AquaticAkros_NumeroUno.jpg