Mike Reliford Sells The Largest And Rarest Christensen Guinea On Ebay

This reminds me of a time about 10 or so years ago I was helping a guy & his wife at a flea market and he always had marbles for sale.

One day a guy comes by and says "I have 15, maybe 20 quart jars at home all full of marbles"

Naturally the guy I'm helping says, well, bring them on by if your interested in selling them.

Guy walks off and both of us thought oh well........

2 hours later here comes the guy back, pulling a little wagon LOADED with quart jars and they are FULL of marbles.

We both shuddered with each bounce that wagon took getting to us.

He was busy sellng a couple of guys some other stuff so he tells me to go ahead and go through them.

After 23 jars dumped into a card board box and I went through each marble in every jar, I found less than a dozen either of us would want to buy due to the amount of damage on the rest of the entire batch.

The dozen or so I found certainly were not mint. Not even close, but....

They had "some" collectible value left in them. About $30 for the whole bunch of them.

Regardless, there was this one marble, actually, there was this one "piece" of a marble I just had to have.

It was about 3/4 of "A" marble and there was enough of it left to know it was a one inch marble and it was a spot on match to a Peltier sunset.

Now, having collected a few Peltiers I thought I had seen most if not all of the patterns and sizes before but I had never seen a Peltier sunest that was one inch.

I kept that piece of marble and started hunting and have since found 3 one inch Peltier sunset's.

I would have never even thought of there actually being one if I had not had the opportunity to go through that batch of marbles.

Truth is, there is a LOT of marbles we as collectors are just now finding because not too many were made and the employees took most of them home for family or friends and they never made it into boxes or bags sold and as these folks die off, their colletions are becoming more and more available to the public and we the collectors are the ones driving the prices up because we just have to have one of a kinds, never seen before, not in any book, etc. type of marbles.

Bottom line on THIS particular marble, I FULLY agree with Scott. It just ain't happenin.

No way on GOD's green earth is this a CAC.

Let me put my 50 power scope on it and I promise you I can show you the air bubbles from the torch !!!

The glass don't lie !!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what to say to that, i to have seen some strange mibs out there that boggles my minds, case in point the mint AMT mibs i just found recently, 115 yrs old and no damage not even a crackle in the glaze,,, the question thats been bothering me is, didnt Alan sell this?,, doesnt anyone think he would have picked up on a remelt or tourch made,,, dunno,, but interesting thought,,, bj

I would think Alan would have been able to see it. The feedback/bidding on this paticular lot looked odd though. I would like to know the story on how it was found from the original seller on Ebay who sold it for $77.00

Bo, i dunno, I bet much of the marbles worth a damn are already in circulation.

I would imagine there are still coffee cans and boxes sitting around in an attics here or there but most of the stuff is sitting in collections and we have to wait until those are split apart. I think many of the marbles we see are just changing hands over and over and over again.

Anyone out there finding anything good in the wild at garage sales, flea markets or antique malls? That one dude found some nice CA slags in a jar at a antique mall recently but i have not heard of any other good finds. It's few and far between since Ebay got popular. I would be willing to guess there are a lot of handmades in Europe sitting around.