Help Needed With Cac's Have A Look

Hello marble friends I have a very important question for all of you. How do go by telling if one of your marbles is CAC?

1. Go by others pics

2. I found that most to all CAC white, baby blue and pale green will fluoresce wildly

3. Definite separation of colors

4. Glass feel with orange peel exterior sometimes

5. Learn from others

This is where I need your help as I am always learning.

The marble I am posting I assumed was Alley, but it also fluoresces and was wondering about your thoughts............before you make a call, check out my second post which contains a VERY helpful picture I found of all CAC marbles halves dug from the site. You can find mine in three places including the "top row" in the middle. I APPOLOGIZE if this picture is someone's who didnt want it posted and I will remove it if anyone wants......but it is just so helpful I thought everyone would like to see it. It might belong to Bill Tow?

Craig

post-2120-124779944747_thumb.jpg

post-2120-124779945926_thumb.jpg

post-2120-124779946886_thumb.jpg

i think you have just about all the means to tell in your post, maybe the orange peel effect might be ok on the hand gathers earlier types but the best way i know is to humbly just throw it out there for others to talk about,, you have what others will prolly never have and thats chards from digs, thats a pretty good way of matching up what you have,, btw, that tray is the bomb, ide love to have a tray like that for id'ing,,, i once bought a gel candle at a show once that had cac pieces in it, very cool candle,, good luck on your quest,,bj

Those green and brown you think are Alley's could be Ravenswood. My friends that know Alley ID'ed mine as either one. It seems that Alley and Ravenswood used the same cullet and made similar marbles. I have mine in the Alley box. Edna

Simple question, difficult answer.

I still get surprised and I had the benefit of tutelage by the late, great Les Jones. He had the best eye I have ever run across for costruction, pattern and colors. Still, I don't think any single person has seen all the variety that Christensen Agate produced.

Attending the New Philly show is the best way to start, IMHO.

Buckeye, your green and black marble that fluoresces could be CAC pistachio. Edna

I think what people for a long time called the CAC pistachio (with black, sometimes flames,on glow-like-heck green) are now usually ID'd as Alley --

Anybody have any good reasons for thinking either way?

Just curious,

Ann

Ric i gotta ask what that mib is in your Avatar that thing is awesome!

Hey Kevin, To the best of my knowledge, it's a Ravenswood. Not mint by any stretch, but a killer nonetheless.

Those green and brown you think are Alley's could be Ravenswood. My friends that know Alley ID'ed mine as either one. It seems that Alley and Ravenswood used the same cullet and made similar marbles. I have mine in the Alley box. Edna

Hey Edna, Here's the only one that wound up in my Ravenswood box. And in hand (maybe even in pics), you can discern differences from the others I posted. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they were produced by different companies, but it also doesn't suggest that they were produced by the same one.

2663946520104684377S425x425Q85.jpg

Simple question, difficult answer.

I still get surprised and I had the benefit of tutelage by the late, great Les Jones. He had the best eye I have ever run across for costruction, pattern and colors. Still, I don't think any single person has seen all the variety that Christensen Agate produced.

Attending the New Philly show is the best way to start, IMHO.

Thanks Ken,

I always try to go to the new philly and columbus show and try to pick Brian Estepp's brain without annoying him too much. Otherwise I walk around the show and try and learn before buying. Maybe ill see you there!

Craig

Hey Craig, In my opinion, there really is no substitute for good mentors and in-hand experience. I also think there will always be marbles that can be honestly ID'd as "either or", and I'm O.K. with that. But then, I collect WV swirls, so if I weren't O.K. with that, I would probably be institutionalized by now. :)

And not to change the subject, but I would like to know if anybody has CACs with a fluorescent base similar to the one you showed initially. If so, I would really like to see some photos.