• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO your right,, the marble reference was kinda a medifore(sp),, it means we aint getting any younger no need to argue, fight, tell others what to do because they think thats the way it is,, this is a marble chat room, no ones perfect no one person is always right, we can hold ourselves to a higher standard if we have no humbleability,( i know thats not a word but hey, who cares),, lololol,, laugh it off peace of mind will come,, bj

Actually if you were to wend your way through this quicksand again you should easily conclude that the thread was begun with a relatively mild statement of opinion and concluded with a humorous contradiction of the opinion taken. I did not personally attack any one individual but fairly soon I was under attack with a very personal slant to it. Can you blame me for hitting back at personal remarks that were totally off topic? Really! Joe Bob says, "Check it out!" David

P.S. I fully recognize that the hoped for goal of this community is marble fellowship, participation and contribution in all manner of marble related endeavors(IDing, showing off favorites, research, etc.). In this ideal marble arena I have been contributing fairly constructively for 20 years and those contributions have been considerable. As only one example over 20 photo articles in the WVMCC newsletter.

I like you David, and i respect you as an advanced collector,, i guess the problem might be,,, this is a marble chat room,, not an opinion but this is a fact,,,, putting your fact based education on marbles is totally in order,, BUT,, starting a thread that picks on, puts down, or places a non marble opinion on what should or shouldnt be said is asking for retalialtion,,, i always thought a marble chat room is supposed to be post a marble, give your thoughts, discusse the mibs in question so everyone can learn from mistakes they may have made and learn,, maybe post for praise for mibs they aquired thats ok because theres nothing wrong with showing what you have and alot of people may have never seen it before, thats the excitement with collecting as a hobby,,, why start a thread that has red tape all over it?,, its nice that you bring your knowledge to the table, but leave some room for discussions, this might require someone that has an opinion,, bj

David, you have to remember that you are a "newbie" to the marble boards, the Internet and the various "things" that have been worked out over the years when it comes to giving opinions on the identification of marbles online. If someone posts a picture and "Joe" says Akro. If he is wrong, or someone thinks he is wrong, the responses are usually negative as if someone knows "for sure" that the ID is correct. Sure, the "negative" responders are not nice and shouldn't respond that way, etc., but they do. And, therefore, those of us, in many cases, started using the IMHO (or similar verbiage like Edna does) to offset the negative responses ahead of time. That is why many posters use the IMHO. Therefore, David, instead of trying to change the world of online posting "procedures", accept what they do and why they do it and go with the flow. That's life!

As previously stated I would not have minded it in the least if responses had been pretty much in the same vein as my opening Post: Just an opinion, self-depreciation in the manner of making it and concluding with a slightly humorous IMHO disclaimer. But no, it took on a PERSONAL SLANT with a mean edge. And what I began can hardly be construed as putting down or picking on or unrelated as I did point out that the IMHO disclaimer is used in just about every other marble thread post and sometimes as a regular mantra, ie. "IMHO, Peace." It was never my intention to dictate; I was presenting an opinion; even one concluding with IMHO which was overlooked from the get-go.

I consider the marble chat room maybe a lot more than what you might circumscribe it to. I see it as a place where people not only share their marble enthusiasm but as in any congregation of like-minded people there develops a deeper appreciation for each of us individually. We talk about fishing, about our heart felt affection for members who are experiencing difficulties, about celebratory events, maybe even about 'dolls' and hopefully not thereby becoming the recipient of personal slanderous remarks.

Again, this is only one thread. I believe if you look around you will find me all over other threads and in a manner that hardly paints me as an antagonist. Granted I have developed over time a certain Marble Cop persona even having a Jabo marble named a 'Brassy' after me but this is only one thread in my personality and it has mainly related to the perpetration of fraud in the marble community. Mostly my emphasis has been in the recognition, photographing and writing about specific marbles and marble companies of the past.

David

I was presenting an opinion; even one concluding with IMHO which was overlooked from the get-go.

Thats your "out"?

Really??? No I mean it REALLY??

You add IMHO at the end and from that we are to understand your were being funny?

You are a smart guy David but not everyone here is below you,I can see this was a built in excuss from the get-go..............good plan but I for one can see thru the smoke.

Maybe this is a test? To see whos got your back? What weight do you carry? Who and how many will follow you?

I consider the marble chat room maybe a lot more than what you might circumscribe it to. I see it as a place where people not only share their marble enthusiasm but as in any congregation of like-minded people there develops a deeper appreciation for each of us individually. We talk about fishing, about our heart felt affection for members who are experiencing difficulties, about celebratory events,

Yes because that happens ALL THE TIME here,long deep threads about off topic stuff,birthdays,vacations,ect.

Again another built in point here but this one is about how poor you tried to start a freindly topic and the baddies came out.

maybe even about 'dolls' and hopefully not thereby becoming the recipient of personal slanderous remarks.

Please talk about other collecting intrests you have nobody here with start flamming you. I think you have been reading to much over at the "other" site David.

IMHO you started this thread knowing full well how it was going to end and yes by typing here I myself have "fallen into the trap"

Just IMHO.

I have no problem with anyone. I feel I have made a pretty good name for myself here as far as being a decent marble person. Even apologizing when errors were made. But David you commented many times how we are on the low end of the spectrum kinda remarks. Dunderheads......questioning how we express ourselves. I think you are looking too deep into the marbles, my friend. This is a community. I might hang my laundry out tomorrow to dry. If I do, being my neighbor, I hope you wont complain. Try to not demean us just because we just enjoy the marbles and are not looking for the meaning of life in them. I don't have the thesaurus out right now........I thought they were extinct. :white-flag-25:

Nice thread, IMHO it's just that, my humble opinion, not your's or theirs or his or hers, it is strange how some people will shove IMHO down your throat and insist you agree with their HO.

Edna is way off track stating "it's all of our opinions" ????

NO, when someone says IMHO, take it for what it is, don't knock them, don't mock them, don't make them look stupid and most of all, don't make their IMHO a problem. We are all human and have subtle to extreme differences, one for certain is, we all have our own opinions and our own asses, we should be careful where we speek from.

Most of the people I have met through marble collecting are wonderful and interesting people with great attitudes, willing to share knowledge, willing to listen, willing to give without expectations and willing to enjoy a good conversation without bashing heads.

What happened? JMHO

Boy, with all the viewing(approx. 1200 views) going on in this thread it almost makes sense to do some advertising here and since I was actually asked about what else I collected other than dolls(For which I was flamed as a "Nelly!") I might as well elaborate. Well.....MARBLES Duh! And:

BIG LITTLE BOOKS and BETTER LITTLE BOOKS(30s and 40s), STAMPS(Art on stamps worldwide pre-1960 including souvenir sheets, sets, single issues - paintings, sculpture, architecture, artifacts, etc.), VIEW-MASTER reels and equipment 1938-1967 strictly Sawyers with a concentration on the handlettered ones and especially the gold-centered, Inc., MADONNA & CHILD images, COMICS, TUBERCULOSIS SOCIETY XMAS SEALS complete sheets, GEORGE WASHINGTON memorabilia, ORIGINAL HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS 1800s and earlier, FRAMED SILHOUETTE ADVERTISING CALENDARS w/THERMOMETERS, 1920s-50s BUTTONS ON CARDS(Cards are 2 1/2" by 3 1/2" Only decent graphics), ADVERTISING TRADE CARDS 19th Century, MOVIE DVDs(Have picked up almost 500 in the past year and have lately been averaging $3.40 ea.), SUPER BALLS/HIGH BOUNCE VARIETY, BASKETS, INDIAN MAIDEN PRINTS, 20s/30s RISQUE POSTCARDS IN GOOD TASTE, CATHOLIC MEDALLIONS, ROSARIES, etc., GRATEFUL DEAD and JERRY GARCIA BAND CONCERT TAPES(cassettes) w/art work, INDIAN HEAD PENNIES and 1943 PENNIES(silver appearing ones) CYCLING MEMORABILIA(I have a MASI and a SWOBO bike), CAT CARDS(not cutesy pics), FRUIT CRATE LABELS, POSTCARDS(numerous subjects), VIOLIN, BANJO & BASS FIDDLE BOTTLES, BOOKS(avid reader, of course), VINTAGE GREETING CARDS(preferably with great graphics, embossed, die-cut, glitter, etc.), FINE LACE WORK, ECLECTIC MIX OF EARLY PAPER EPHEMERA(I was known as a Paper Dealer before getting into marbles), Late 19th/early 20th Century PRINTS, DOLLS(mainly American Composition Mama Dolls 1910-late 40s), COLOR EMBOSSED CHROMOLITHOGRAPH DIE-CUTS 19th Century, ALL AMERICAN GIRLS PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL LEAGUE(1943-1954), MARILYN MONROE, and so forth......

That should flesh it out a bit more. Condition is a must. David Chamberlain

Let's see......LAND CONTRACTS- I think they would have to be about land/property that has some significants either then or presently. Also any signatures of noteworthy individuals would enhance value. For some reason I've never handled Land Contracts that I recall.

1860s newspapers. If they are purely Engineering tracts I would think they would be of a narrow interest unless again some subject was significantly covered within the newspaper that was noteworthy. If the 1860s papers have any Civil War coverage that is a definite plus. An engineering article with a CW bent to it would add significantly to the newspapers value.

Google for further information or do an eBay search for past sales in the same subject matter under newspapers.

David

David,,

Your an artist at "Stirring The Pot". I love the way you get everyone gong on such petty crap.

You don't get the respect you deserve!!! You go Dave, and tell them what's really going on in the world. :cool-smileys-262:

I don't post here much anymore, but it sure is fun seeing all the different personality's that come out of the woodwork. :confused-smileys-327: :computer-17:

Of course, this is just my IMHO :character-smileys-238:

Tim

Nice thread, IMHO it's just that, my humble opinion, not your's or theirs or his or hers, it is strange how some people will shove IMHO down your throat and insist you agree with their HO.

Edna is way off track stating "it's all of our opinions" ????

NO, when someone says IMHO, take it for what it is, don't knock them, don't mock them, don't make them look stupid and most of all, don't make their IMHO a problem.

Everyone's opinion is okay EXCEPT Edna's?

Don't knock them or mock them UNLESS they're Edna?

GREG,

If not necessarily certified fake then someone we all know for his marbles pictured in many of the books intends to and has bragged about using his many contemporary reproduction CAC Exotics to bottom out the market. Possibly now that I have pointed out his plans twice here on MC he is thinking twice about it. David

No, it's not about "Edna" she happened to be the one who tryed to group everyones opinions together saying "it's all our opinions", the subject was.... IMHO, no IOHO.

Individual opinions, not groups.

Why can't people stick to the point? Why does every comment lead to chaos?

Pick a road and stick to it, life is alot easyer.

Lets hear more about these exotics, fakes?? sounds like a better thread to start, actualy meaningful subject matter.

No, it's not about "Edna" she happened to be the one who tryed to group everyones opinions together saying "it's all our opinions", the subject was.... IMHO, no IOHO.

Individual opinions, not groups.

Why can't people stick to the point? Why does every comment lead to chaos?

Pick a road and stick to it, life is alot easyer.

Lets hear more about these exotics, fakes?? sounds like a better thread to start, actualy meaningful subject matter.

You misread Edna's meaning. IMHO. Why would you assume she was saying that anyone was speaking an opinion for the whole? Of course she meant that each person is stating their own opinion. Hence it is redundant to couch one's remarks in the IMHO ending. Or something along those lines.

Why does "every comment" lead to chaos? Well possibly partly because of the tendency of people to overgeneralize.

More definitely because of people misreading. It becomes exponentially worse when people make harsh criticisms based on their misreading.

Regardless of Edna's meaning, or your reading of it, and regardless of whether my reading of her post was correct, your post was hostile. It was in direct opposition to the tolerance you seemed possibly to be calling for.

David

I see that this thread has now allowed you to post

what YOU are ALL about.

1200 views....I'm sure you are happy with that.

Too bad all 1200 didn't respond. Would you stand

up in front of 1200 marble collectors and present

them with the issues YOU have with good ol' IMHO.

At this point....I believe you would. I see that you

enjoy talking about yourself and your reputation.

Having seeing your name attached to the pics I

have in my books. If by chance I spend any time

looking at these books I have...when I see your

name NOW ??? Your reputation will definetly come

to mind.

You need a new gig. You're hit'n rock bottom here.