Another Question

popculturizm

If so, it would probably be a personal decision by the buyer... I've never heard of anyone holding that against a marbles condition, but that doesn't mean there aren't folks who like to keep 'em round!!

It's not uncommon, especially in peewees. I wouldn't worry too much about it....

Roundness is a marble attribute that seems to have held sway pretty strong through the ages. They do roll better. And with a handmade like this one which is about as basic a latticino as you can come by everything else about it really needs to comply to acceptable standards.

I'm still reeling from a David Salazar 'Hops'/Beer marble that was returned to me a cpl. months ago due to the complaint that it wasn't round or perfectly round. You couldn't have told by me but I guess when I did get it back and rolled it across a flat table it sorta swerved. Was a little non-plussed on that one but promptly refunded; then the buyer kindly reminded me that I'd actually sent it to him on approval.....duh! Swift! David

LOL.... So, I guess they ARE out there!!!! :confused-smileys-327: LOL

I have some peewees that actually resemble close to a miniature tuna can!! That's the way they were made. That's the way they were sold... Since I never plan on using them for a game, it never occurred to me to find fault... But, that's me....

I do have an issue with contemporaries that have "stuff" on them.... Bumps, octopi, frogs, etc...

I really like them as art and have no issue with artists making them... But, I have a personal issue calling them "marbles."

Again, that's just me....

Since I never plan on using them for a game, it never occurred to me to find fault... But, that's me....

I do have an issue with contemporaries that have "stuff" on them.... Bumps, octopi, frogs, etc...

I really like them as art and have no issue with artists making them... But, I have a personal issue calling them "marbles."

Again, that's just me....

Well, it's me too. Out-of-roundness has never stopped me from purchasing an antique hand made,and neither has the roughness of the pontil marks. Crucial for me are type, condition, size (smaller than 1 1/8), rarity, quality of workmanship displayed in the core and/or outer decoration, and whether or not I already have a better-than-good example. I think a lot of hand-made collectors feel the same, since such marbles don't actually have to "work" as marbles anymore. The rounder the better of course, but it's not really a factor for me.

And sorry, but I don't even LIKE the contemporaries with "stuff" on them (JUST MY OPINION, OK?), and don't -- just can't -- consider them "marbles" either - - -

By no means have I seen all the handmades out there, but I've found that the "older" handmades are more often round than the "newer" ones. Most times the type you see out of round have unfinished pontils and typically aren't as "fancy" or symmetrical compared to the older ones.

It shouldn't affect condition rating but should be noted/mentioned as a trait when describing (say if you were ever going to sell it or something). Some people may or may not find it desirable based on how round it is.

By no means have I seen all the handmades out there, but I've found that the "older" handmades are more often round than the "newer" ones. Most times the type you see out of round have unfinished pontils and typically aren't as "fancy" or symmetrical compared to the older ones.

It shouldn't affect condition rating but should be noted/mentioned as a trait when describing (say if you were ever going to sell it or something). Some people may or may not find it desirable based on how round it is.

I totally agree.

Ann