Antique Marbles: Stone, Bennington, China, . . .

Steph

Hi Cees,great collection you've got there!!

Why do you call them Dutch non glass marbles?

winnie

Hi Winnie, youre right, most of them are not made in Holland.

I think more than 90% of my collection, hand- and machinemade glass also, I've found in Holland, that's why I call them Dutch marbles.

Cees.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could be, are there only 9 holes on that game board? If from a game itwould make sense if the game board had more holes (same with your pic),but thanks for posting that ziggy.

Yes there are only 9 holes. It is not mine, but from ebay 2007. I am guessing the marbles on this one are in the wrong holes and that it is a collectible game.

I think someone told me once that those little ivory looking things with numbers were from an old pool hall. They had a leather "bottle" filled with numbered balls that were used for some older pool games. The modern ones are plastic bottles with some kind of plastic numbered ball/shapes.

The ones in a leather bottle were called "pills" and had a flat surface where the number was. They were made of the same material as the billiard balls: cycolac which is an imitation ivory composite. Confession: I was a hookie playin' poolhall fan. ;-)

Cees, great flowers!! The mottled pottery ones are great!! I think your right about rarety.. They look kinda familiar to me, but I don't know why or where I may have seen one (Probably at Bert Cohen's)

If they were made local (by country) and not exported.... They would be really tough to find outside of the Netherlands....

Thanks Sue, the large one of the mottled pottery is called: "Dutch variegated" clay marble, and they also could be found in America, but also there they are rare.

Here more Dutch non glass marbles, most of them are "diggers", found at several places in Holland.

Cees.

P1010964.jpg

P1010962.jpg

Hi Cees,

In the first photo, on the right side there are two marbles with large Black Spots on them... One of them has rings around the black spots, and one has only black spots... Now, refering to the one with only the black spots, it has 5 black spots 2 of which seem to be on the poles, and there are 3 spots around the center (equator)... Am I correct??? Can you give me any info on that marble??? I have a twin to that one, and was at a loss with trying to identify it... Thank-You Much... "Gene"

It is called a "spotted dick".

Hi Cees,

In the first photo, on the right side there are two marbles with large Black Spots on them... One of them has rings around the black spots, and one has only black spots... Now, refering to the one with only the black spots, it has 5 black spots 2 of which seem to be on the poles, and there are 3 spots around the center (equator)... Am I correct??? Can you give me any info on that marble??? I have a twin to that one, and was at a loss with trying to identify it... Thank-You Much... "Gene"

Hi Cees,

The marble with the black spots, without the rings, is indeed called "Spotted Dick", the one with the rings is a "solid" bullseye, a rare type of these kind of marbles.

Spotted Dick's were made in Germany (Thüringen), as far as I know, during the late 1800's- early 1900's.

I think it's glazed earthenware, not china.

Cees.

Hi Cees,

The marble with the black spots, without the rings, is indeed called "Spotted Dick", the one with the rings is a "solid" bullseye, a rare type of these kind of marbles.

Spotted Dick's were made in Germany (Thüringen), as far as I know, during the late 1800's- early 1900's.

I think it's glazed earthenware, not china.

Cees.

Yes, glazed earthenware... My mib shows a very small nick, with what looks like clay under the glaze...

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my favorite hand faceted. It's a Carnelian with some very nice effects and kind of rough base faceting.

Nifty.

And finally a facet I can see in the photo! lol

Actually I have proven to myself that I can find facets in hand. But I am FAR from comfortable with them. Wonder if it's possible to SHOW them in pix in a way which agate newbies can understand.

I'd heard the advice about looking at how light reflected off them. "Roll them around. And if the reflection jumps they're faceted." But still when I got some in my hand I was expecting something much more jumpy than I saw. I was thinking of something like a quilt of facets. A bunch of tiny flat surfaces all over the marble.

But if I recall correctly, what I actually saw was sort of concentric rings of grinding. The reflection would only "jump" when it moved over to the next ring.

hmmmm i tried and only got this,can you see them?,bj

Yes! I can!

at least some of them.

Very cool! Thanks!

Can even see some of the change in the way light reflects. It's uneven at the ridge. nice capture!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If doing a history on marbles stone, China & Bennington pre-date mass produced glass marbles. Still adding limestone, lined crockery, Bennington, carpet bowl and late period China marbles to this thread. Here's another handcut agate, guess will have to start a 3rd case! Love em with rings like this! Thanks Charles (moremarbles4me)!

post-130-127164168449_thumb.jpg

post-130-127164171633_thumb.jpg

post-130-127164173984_thumb.jpg

post-130-127164177827_thumb.jpg

Yes, glazed earthenware... My mib shows a very small nick, with what looks like clay under the glaze...

I just received two "spotted dicks" just like the one posted. They came in a lot from England, and I was wondering what they were. There is also one a bit bigger that is black, with white splotches ... more shaped like rain drops or crescent moons. The spots on all three are rather messy both in placement and in shape. Not fine craftsmanship, but at least they have a name (be that as it may)! Thanks for posting the pics~

Ruth

oops ... re entered this connecting it to the correct reference part of the thread... sorry, ruth

Hi Cees,

I just received two "spotted dicks" just like the one posted (spot on each pole and four spots around). They came in a lot from England, and I was wondering what they were. There is also one a bit bigger that is black, with white splotches ... more shaped like rain drops or crescent moons. The spots on all three are rather messy both in placement and in shape. Not fine craftsmanship, but at least they have a name (be that as it may)! Thanks for posting the pics~

Ruth